Chapter 29: No Purple Teddy Bears

Noah drops me at the front entrance to the hospital, since he has to go back to school for practice later. I thank him for the quick ride and rush into the hospital. The elevator ride is slow, and everything seems to be going so slow today, but I guess only when I think about him.

I walk down the hallways, my heels echo with every step. I reach Cole's room to find it empty. His bed is still there, but he isn't. I instantly panic. I drop my backpack to the floor and run back down the hall to the Nurses station. I find a young nurse who seriously looks like she is younger than I am.

"Do you know where Cole Anderson is, he isn't in his room?" I ask frantically.

"Let me check on that for you", the nurse says back with a kind smile on her face. She walks over to a tablet, I follow her from outside the counter. "Looks like he went for a routine Cat Scan. He should be back soon. May I ask how you're related to him? I need to make sure you're on the list to see him".

I think for a moment, my mind goes blank. "Uh.... I'm his girlfriend, Meredith Adams. His mother said I could be here". The nurse, whose name tag says Anna, scrolls her finger on the screen of the tablet.

"Yes, okay. You can go sit in his room until he comes back". She motions to his room. I walk slowly back to his room and sit in my chair, still in the exact same place as it was this morning.

I sit with my hands in my lap, and my legs crossed. It's kind of cold in here. I look around the room for a blanket. The only thing I find is Cole's Bengals sweatshirt hanging on a coat rack by the door. I get up silently and walk over, taking the sweatshirt and putting it on. It smells like him, like his cologne. I have always liked that smell.

10 minutes later, I hear a wheel chair come down the hall. In comes Cole in the wheelchair with a nurse pushing him. I stand up quick. He looks up from his lap, spotting me. "Mere, what are you doing here?"

"Let's just say a few things happened at school. Noah drove me during our lunch period".

The nurse helps Cole into his bed and leaves without a word. "You aren't going to tell me what actually happened, are you?"

I sit on the edge of his bed, my legs hanging over the side. "People kept looking at me with sad puppy dog eyes because they know you're in the hospital. Every time I would walk into a room they would stop talking at look at me with sympathy like you died or something. When the team and I walked into the cafeteria and everyone did that thing, and I was really missing you because I didn't want to be at school if anything happened, so I kind of yelled at our entire school to stop looking at me the way they were, then I stormed out. Noah caught up to me and brought me back here after I started crying in the middle of the hallway."

Cole pulls me down next to him. He wraps his arms around me as tight as he can. I wrap an arm over him, pulling myself closer. I pull my left leg over his, giving me support to not fall off the bed. "I'm going to be fine. The only reason I'm here is for observation, and the fact that I still can't stand for longer than thirty seconds without help. And going to the bathroom is kind of embarrassing". I scrunch my face in disgust, along with laughter. "The doctor says I can go home on Thursday now, instead of Saturday. And next week is Thanksgiving vacation, so I don't have to go to school until the first of December. Hey, that reminds me, what are you doing for Thanksgiving? Mom wants to invite you over for dinner, if you aren't doing anything".

I think for a moment. "I think we are free, since my grandparents live out in Indiana and Uncle Richard is with his wife's family, it was just going to be my parents, Cara, and I. I'm sure Mom and Dad would have no problem letting me go over to your house. Will any of your other family be there?"

"Um, I think so. They are coming from New York and Massachusetts. Both sets of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. I think they will be around twenty of us. I think you would make twenty-one if I'm counting correctly, since Devon isn't allowed home until February break".

"It sounds really fun, I wouldn't miss it". I say, snuggling further into Cole's side.

We go silent for a few minutes, and soon, Cole breath deepens. He snores quietly. I listen to his heartbeat. Thump, thump.....thump...thump, thump. It's soothing.

It's been a few hours, and I just focus on each beat, when Noah and a few of the guys walk into the room. I shush them before they get too loud. I slowly move myself from the bed, causing Cole to stir a little. I gather them outside. "I thought you had practice?"

"Coach said it would be okay if we came out to see him, I'm the only one from the team who has seen him. Mrs. Anderson just called the hospital to let us see him. So I brought a few of them. Others should be here soon. When did he fall asleep?" Noah says

"A few hours ago. I've just been lying there. I think we should wait a little longer. He has been through a lot throughout the past few days. Let him rest for a little while. Wait in the waiting room, I will come and get you when he is awake".

"We are going to the gift shop. We'll be back soon", Hunter says from behind Noah.

"No purple teddy bears, if you do, I will break you", I laugh. "Each and every one of you".

I lay back down next to Cole once the guys wave goodbye. 20 minutes later, the 6 original guys, along with the rest of the team, stand in the doorway.

Every single one of them holds a different colored teddy bear. But none of them are purple. I should have known.

Edited: 3/8/22