Chapter 4: Meeting The Mother

I show Cole and Noah the way to my house, which I still had a bit of trouble with, being in a new town and all. I get out, thanking Noah for the ride. I then realize that they're following me up the driveway to my front door.

"What are you two doing?"

Cole replies, "We want to meet the parents". I roll my eyes.

I really hope Dad isn't home.

They follow me up to my front door. I scramble for my house keys in my pocket when the door swings open. There, my mother stands with her apron on.

She is the ideal house wife for a guy who would hate taking care of things. But my parents work together and do things in our house equally. They cook together, even though Dad isn't that good of a cook. She is always baking and cooking new things for us. She cleans everyday, even though she does not have to. Our family makes very little mess, except our foyer during hockey season. That's when we all have to clean. Mom loves her life.

"How was your first day?" Mom says as cheerful as could be. She then notices the 2 largely built boys behind me.

Noah puts one arm around my shoulders, then reaches his other hand to shake my Mom's. "I'm your daughter's new boyfriend Noah, that is her other boyfriend, Cole". My mothers face goes white.

"That's not true", I nervously laugh and push Noah off me. I look up at Noah and give him a death glare. He simply smiles at me.

Mom lets us pass through the door without another word. I move Noah's arm off me once again, "Mom, this is Noah and Cole. I met them today in a few of my classes. They play hockey. Noah drove me home because Cara is off with her new friends she made this morning. Oh, I'm also going to their hockey game tonight at the rink".

"Oh yeah, we need to leave in a few minutes. Go pick something out of your closet that is school colors. We need all the team spirit we can get".

"I'm just going to see you guys in a few hours, I don't have to change now. I'll be okay".

They both look at each other, "Oh sweetie", Noah starts in a mocking way. "Do you really think we are going to let you out of our sights today? You're our new friend. We aren't leaving without you", I roll my eyes and start walking up the stairs to my room. "Gold and royal purple", he calls after me.

I open Cara's closet first. I know she's already bought at least 3 Bengals sweatshirts. I take one of those out. I take off my flannel from today, leaving me in a black tank top. I put the sweatshirt over that. Then go to my own closet for new pants and shoes, throwing my clothes sloppily into my laundry basket. I'll pick them up later.

I remove my light blue chucks, which matched the flannel I was wearing, and find my yellow and purple plaid chucks. I don't exactly know why I have those colors, but now seems like a good time to wear them. I pull out a pair of ripped jeans and put them on, then tie my shoes. I pull my hair into a ponytail, grab my wallet, and head downstairs.

Noah looks me up and down, then whistles. I know Mom probably just had a heart attack if she heard that. Cole and Noah both stand up from their spots on the couch. Both also seem surprised.

"You have only been here a day, and you already have a school logo sweatshirt?" Cole says, like asking how I got it.

"Yeah, when we enrolled here at school, Cara bought three sweatshirts, a pair of sweatpants, a hat, a scarf, and a coat. Which ran our parents about three hundred bucks". 

I walk into the kitchen to give Mom a kiss goodbye and we walk back to Noah's car.

We arrive at the rink not even 10 minutes later to find that even more parking spots in the school lot are filled with cars and trucks. People here for the game already? 

We go through the back door into the hallway where all the locker rooms are. Some of the guys are already dressed for the game. But some of them aren't on our Division 1 team.

"Do you have more than one guys hockey team?" I whispered to Cole.

"Yeah. We have two. D one, which is ours, and JV team, so they're D two". I nod as he talks.

"Ah. Okay".

We walk into the guy's locker room, where some of the boys are getting dressed. I look away quickly. They say it's okay for me to see anything, but I don't really want to. Noah and Cole leave my side to change themselves. I hear girls laughter behind me, and I realize I am holding the door open with my foot. I move my foot quickly so the guys can actually have privacy, well with me standing in the corner looking like an awkward moron.

Cole taps me on the shoulder a few minutes later, telling me that all the guys are completely dressed. I turn around, and I don't move far. Only a few feet to the end of the bench where Cole's locker is. I sit huddled to him, I'm extremely nervous. I'm the only girl in the guys locker room. Is this even allowed?

Coach stands in front of all of us. He gives a motivational speech. I check my phone quickly to see if Cara or my parents had texted me. I check the clock before I out the phone in my purse. 5:30. How was it 5:30 already? We left my house at 5, and before that, left school at 3:45. Where has time gone!

Coach finishes and the team stands up and starts their motivational chant. 'Bengals, Bengals, we are the best! We won't stop 'till you lay to rest!' They chant it over and over again. The only thing I can think is: you need better lyrics for your chant.

Coach leads the boys and I, out of the locker room. Everyone cheers for the guys. Me, being nice for once, cheers along with them.

For the next 10 minutes, the guys warm up, and coach shows me to the 'VIP' area, as he called it. Which was above the penalty box. I could see everything, and it's an amazing view. 

The refs call everybody to their starting places. Cole, #19, stands taller than his opponent, which is quite funny to look at from up here. They rest in their starting positions. The ref blows the whistle.

Then drops the puck.

Edited: 2/25/22