Chapter 40: Epilogue

March

We play the Arctic Foxes, or the Cold Ones, tonight in the championship. This is the first game Cole can play since his injury 5 months ago. He begged his doctor to let him play in just this game. He wanted to help his team beat our rivals, his brother's old team. The game is being held at Alfond Arena, where University of Maine Blackbears play.

Cara and I take a seat behind the Arctic Foxes goal so we can see our players shoot. Dad is around here somewhere, probably off with Mom, who we forced to come with us. The teams take their lap around the ice. Cole and Matt stop in front of us. The other girls from our school swoon, once again, when they stop. Cole and Matt draw invisible hearts mockingly on the ice as Cara and I blush. They finish their lap around and soon take their positions on the ice.

Cole goes against the other teams #19. He isn't one of the best players on that team. The ref drops the puck and Cole has the better reaction. We win the face off and Cole skates down the ice. Noah and Arron defend the other teams players, keeping them away from Cole. He defends himself from the other #19 and shoots from at least 25 feet away. It goes right over the goalies leg and shoots straight into the goal. The horn blares, since we are being considering the home team here. Noah and Arron pile onto Cole against the boards in front of us. At least 75% of the crowd is cheering. A goal in the first 10 seconds of the game. We are definitely going to beat them. Cara and I jump up the second the horn blares calling a goal.

The third period horn blares. We won! The final score was 6-2. The Cold Ones wobble off the ice and into their locker room. Our team on the other hand, climb out of the bench area and skate over to our third line players. The pile is bigger than most that I have seen before, after a game.

Cara and I immediately head down to the tunnels, the locker room to be exact. Cara and I are still talking about the first and second goals, both within the first thirty seconds of the game. They were amazing shots from Cole and Matt. Cole had the first goal with an assist from Matt, and the second was a goal from Matt with an assist from Cole.

Soon enough, we find the hallway where the locker room is and the door opens. Out walks a few of our guys. Matt, Cole, Zac, and Noah. Cara runs into Matt's arms, I into Cole's. He scoops me up in his arms. I wrap my arms around his neck. My feet leave the ground for a second, then he puts me back down. I give him a long kiss before Noah and Zac start to pretend barf.

"We really need to get you laid Noah", Cole laughs at him. "And you", he nods his head to Zac.

"Well, maybe I will get lucky with those group of girls behind Cara and Meredith in the stands. I'm sure a few of them are still here", Zac says with a smile. The rest of us roll our eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May, a year after championship game. Cole and Meredith are going into senior year, Cara is going off to Ohio State for Athletic training, Noah is off to University of Maine for agricultural engineering, and Matt's soon going into his sophomore year at Michigan State for his hockey scholarship, majoring in architecture and design.

Dad sits Cara, Matt, Cole, and I on the couch. He seems to be extremely serious.

"I got a new job", Dad starts.

"Dad, that's great!", Cara and I say at the same time.

"But it's not here", Cara and my smiles disappear. "It's in Chicago", Dad looks down at his hands.

I stand up, stepping closer to my father. "What", my voice cracks.

"I'm sorry, Meredith. I really am. I tried to stay here until after your senior year, but my company wanted me there as soon as possible. I know you want to stay here, and so do I, but we can't". He looks me in the eye.

"I'm not leaving", I say with tears in my eyes. I can feel Cole stand up behind me. One of his arms goes around my waist.

"You have to, sweetheart. We can't just leave you here. You aren't eighteen yet. I would let you stay if I could". Dad gets up and gives me a small hug. "I know you want to".

Before he can go any further with the hug, I walk away from him and run up the stairs into my room. I slam the door behind me, and fall onto the bed. A moment later I hear my bedroom door open slightly.

"Babe", Cole whispers.

"What", I say with my face buried in the pillow.

"It's going to be okay", he opens the door more and walks in. He sits on the edge of my bed, rubbing my shin comfortingly.

I sit up, wiping the tears that soak my face. "We have talked about so many things we were going to do together this year. Go to college together. Live together after college in some city where ever you get into the NHL. We had so much planned. And it's gone", I cry.

"We are going to be okay. I promise. We are going to figure everything out and we will be together forever. We will make it work. Just let it play out for a few months. It is going to be absolutely okay. Promise". Cole says, grabbing my chin so he can look me right in the eye.

I sniff back more tears. "But...".

"No buts Mere. We are going to be absolutely fine. I promise".

I'm leaving everything I love behind. I have more here than I ever did in Michigan. Everything I love is in this town, and in my school. Now I have to start again with new people and a new school.

Edited: 3/10/22