Chapter 35: Why Are You Here?

I turn to him with wide eyes. "Hey, Baby. I haven't seen you since you moved out here" He wraps me in a hug. I don't hug him back.

"What are you doing here? I broke up with you. I don't even like you. Do you remember what you did to me? I went through hell with you", I say smugly. I remove his arms from around me. Cole should be back soon and I don't want anything else happening to us. Especially if the cause was Luke.

"Dad moved me here because I missed you, plus he got a new job. I'm joining the guy's hockey team". My eyes widen even more. This can't be happening. It can't be.

"You can't. Coach doesn't need new players, he already has too many", I lie. I hear footsteps coming up from behind me. I look to see Cole coming at a faster pace than before. I sigh.

"Who are you?", Cole asks angrily. Luke smirks

"I'm Meredith's boyfriend, Luke". Cole grabs the small of my back possessively.

"I don't think so. I'm her boyfriend". Cole yells at Luke. I wince a little, but stand my ground.

"Cole", I turn to him, putting my hand on his chest so he can't go after Luke, I know her wants to. "He is my ex boyfriend. I don't know why he's here. He just showed", Cole takes a huffy breath, glaring at Luke.

"Hey, what's going on guys?" I hear Noah call from down the hall behind Cole. I look to him and see him and most of the hockey team walk down the hall towards. They see Luke peek around at them and hurry towards us as well. This is about to go south very quick.

Cole turns back to Luke with a dead glare and the entire hockey team standing behind him. "Why are you interrogating my girlfriend, Luke?"

"Well, she was my girlfriend first", Luke sneers. A few of the guys gasp quietly behind us. "My dad and I just moved here from Michigan. I'm going to play on the hockey team", more guys gasp behind us now.

"No possible way. I'm not letting that one happen. Meredith means too much to us to let you ruin that", Cole says, still holding onto me.

"Too bad your coach already said I will take center on first line to replace some guy with a brain injury", Luke says with an evil smile. I can feel Cole, and the rest of the team tense. But, so do I.

Luke is a jackass, anyway. I'm not surprised this is actually happening. I broke up with him after he tried to force his tongue down my throat after one of his late night drunken visits at my house. Yes, I said he was drunk. Since 8th grade, he would drink constantly at parties his older hockey friends would throw. They would let him get hammered, then drive him over to my house because they thought they were doing a good thing.

"Oh, hell no! I will not let coach throw his team away for a drunk druggy like you. You do realize why I broke up with you right", I say to Luke.

"I, as that guy with the brain injury, am still the captain. I have some say in who is on my team", Cole lets go of me and starts down the hallway. I rush after him, Luke watches me run. I look back to see Noah and the team stare at Luke with death glares. Luke isn't phased, and just stares at us running down the hallway.

We end in Coach's office. Cole swings the door open fast, revealing Coach writing something down on a notepad.

"No way in hell I'm letting this happen", Cole yells at Coach.

Coach slowly looks up from the notepad. "What are you talking about?" he asks calmly.

"That jack wad Luke, do you know who he is?" Coach shakes his head. "Meredith's ex boyfriend. He is only here to win her back. I can see it in his eyes. He lusts for her and they are both only fifteen. I am not letting you bring him onto the team. No way in hell. Luke put Meredith through hell just by dating her, it's the kind of guy he is, I know it. If you put him on the team, I'm leaving for good. And you know how bad that would hurt you, the team, and me".

"Give him a chance, Cole, his coach back home said he is one of the best players they had, one of the best in their state. If he tries anything on her, I will kick him off the team immediately".

"He is going to try something, he tried something five minutes ago. The rest of the team saw it". Cole points his finger out the door, as if pointing to Luke. I stand in the doorway, silent as a mouse.

"One game. I want to put him in tomorrow night's game. If he does okay, I will give him another shot, but after that, and if he tries something, I will kick him off the team, no questions asked. I promise you. And you know I keep my promises", Coach looks over to me. "Are you okay with this?" I nod my head slowly. I still don't know about this.

"Sir, may I tell you something", Coach nods to me. "Luke, is my ex boyfriend. I know him. He probably isn't going to be the best person to play for your team. He has done things that I don't exactly want to repeat. He never did anything to hurt me intentionally, but he hurt me. I wouldn't want the team to go down for his wrongdoing, because I know it's going to happen".

Coach thinks for a moment. "One game. My offer stands on one game, Anderson, Meredith. The minute he does something stupid. He is off the team. Got it?" Cole and I both shake our head. Coach motions for us to leave.

"You get one shot. You screw a single thing up and I will  kill you", I point in Luke's face.

The bell rings and I storm off to my next class.

Edited: 3/8/22