Chapter 21: The Munn

We tie the game against the rookies 1-1. They were tough. I see why they're NHL players. I got checked once, the guy thought I was Cole, since we had the same number on. I was okay with it. It just felt good to be on the ice again. I do feel bad that I lied to the guys about knowing how to skate, or playing hockey. At the time, I felt that it was best for my mental health. 

All of us shower after the game and head out to the cars. I get in the back seat with Cole, Noah sits in the passenger seat, and Corey drives. Dad gave Corey the directions to the Munn, and we are on our way. 

The drive is about 45 minutes. Corey isn't that fun in the car. He is very serious about driving and the rules of the road. We arrive at the arena around 7. Brown wants us to meet the team before we play the other Michigan tomorrow at noon.

As soon as we enter the rink, we are bombarded with college boys. Cara spots one guy who looks her up and down, I see Matt tense when be notices the guy. Was something going on with him and Cara? A few guys look me up and down. Noah notices, pulling me to his side and his arm goes around my shoulders. Those guys look away. I act natural, because really, I feel sort of uncomfortable with all of the college boys looking at me, a 16 year old girl. Gross!

Brown introduces us to all of the team. The recruiter has a discussion with Dad and Matt, Corey, and Cara talk to #35, and the rest of us talk to a few of the nicer college players.

After a couple hours of getting to know the team and talking strategy for tomorrow, Dad and Mr. Brown decide we need our sleep. Doug finished up with the team and gives us directions to his house. I didn't know we were staying there, but I guess with him and Dad being best friends, I probably saw it coming.

His house is absolutely huge. I think he said there were 8 bedrooms and 10 1/2 baths. Dad has already made our sleeping arrangements, as to which of the bedrooms we sleep in, since 4 bedrooms are taken up by Brown's family already.

Dad separates us into 3 of the 4 rooms, since all the guest rooms have multiple beds in each. Him, Cara, and Corey have one room, me, Cole, and Noah share a room, and Matt and Hunter get the smallest. I somehow convinced Dad that I could stay in a room with the 2 boys. Probably because I told him that I see no romantic interest in either of them, and that we would keep the door wide open if he needed us too. He said it was fine either way. I didn't object.

I pull my pajamas out of my suitcase and call first dibs on our bathroom. I change and brush my teeth. I hear Noah and Cole hitting each other with pillows. I rush out to stop them before they break something. "Hey!" They look at me for a moment. They stop and look down at the floor, pouting looks on their faces. "You are going to break something", I laugh.

I stare at them for another moment before Noah throws a pillow at my head. I grab it from it's line of fire and hit him right back. We tussle with the pillows and soon enough, Noah has me pinned on my bed. He holds my wrists down, he's straddling me. "Haven't you learned anything from our relationship, Princess?" He smirks.

"No, but I have learned this". I use this technique that Cara and I learned in some class for siblings or something like that, when I was twelve and she was fourteen. I squirm my wrists out of his grip and knock him onto the floor with a loud crash. He laughs and Cole is on his own bed laughing his ass off.

"We have to go to bed, boys. We have to be up by eight thirty, we're leaving the house at ten. The three of us are sharing one bathroom, which means we all have it for at most like twenty minutes, Cole will go last because he takes the longest with his hair", Noah laughs. "But we do need to go to bed".  They put their pouting faces back on. The guys fall into their beds and I turn off the light.

I wake the next morning to an empty room. Then I hear hollers and screams from down stairs. It's not even my house and I wake to hollering. Every single morning for the past month. It has to be karma or something? What did I do to deserve this?

Pulling myself out of bed, I head to the bathroom for a shower. I pick out my Michigan State sweatshirt, and yes I have a lot of sweatshirts for a lot of sports teams, even college teams. I match my sweatshirt to my converse. Dark green. Cole and Noah rush in as I finish getting dressed. They are both still in their shorts and t-shirts from last night.

"Morning, Princess. Get out. We need showers, and I don't think your father would be happy if one of us was taking a shower and you were in here". I roll my eyes sarcastically.

"Fine, let me grab my stuff and get out". I leave the room, heading down stairs for breakfast.

I find the dining room filled with hockey players, Brown's kids, and adults. Cara and the guys see me walk in, motioning me over to a chair near them. Kids sit at one end of the table, while the guys and Brown sit where I sit. They talk about hockey things, I kind of just block them out. I sit and eat my bowl of cheerios' when Brown orders everyone to get ready. Noah and Cole finish in our bathroom. I tell Cara to use my bathroom. She doesn't object, grabbing her clothes for the day and heading into the bathroom.

An hour and a half later, all of us are ready. The guys grab their hockey bags and race out to the cars. Cara and I stand on the front porch and watch the frantic scene go on before us in the driveway. The guys are all fake fighting, Brown's kids play around the front yard, and Dad has Doug in a headlock, after another fake altercation between themselves. Cara and I stand with Doug's wife and laugh. I get in the back seat and Cole climbs in beside me. Noah and Corey climb into the front and Corey starts the car.

Off to the Munn we go.

Edited: 3/3/22