Chapter 12: The Mountains

We just arrived over the border of New Hampshire and Vermont. Only another couple of hours until we get into a town called Stowe.

Our road trip has involved singing at the top of our lungs and laughing. Noah has a decent voice, but Zac can't sing if it saved his life. But I don't judge too much. Well, maybe I do, but I'm not going to say anything. I know my singing isn't that perfect either.

Snow falls slowly here in Vermont. Even here on flat ground, the colors of the leaves are absolutely amazing. I can tell the mountains are going to be even more amazing.

"How are you liking Maine?" Zac asks from the back seat, looking to me.

"Well, it's not that different from Michigan. It's cold at this time of year. But I'm glad most people don't know who my father is. I mean, I grew up with everybody knowing where we lived and having fake friends that just wanted to know my father. That's the real reason I hate hockey is because all the people at school who played hockey just wanted to be friends with me because my father is Randy Adams. Here in Maine, nobody knows who he is because they don't know we moved here". I can't tell them the real reason I hate hockey. I do feel like I'm lying to them though, I guess I am. It's killing me, but I know it's for the best. Well, maybe. It just saves me

"It was pretty cool when I found out who your dad was this morning when we showed up. I was kind of mad that you didn't tell us, but now I see why. And I promise that I won't be friends with you just because of your father. I mean, it helps", he says sarcastically. 

One highway ends and another begins. And it's another hour before we reach our destination. I have never realized that snow looks different when you are in a different part of the country. This snow looks cleaner and fresher than in Michigan, but living in the middle of a large city means all the snow and dirt mix together.

Our hotel looks over the small town. We check in and find our rooms on the 4th floor. I have one room, Cole and Noah share one, and Zac has another. Making sure my room key card works and dropping my bag on my very comfortable looking bed, we all end up in Noah and Cole's room. I sit on the bed Cole called and we wait for Zac to come back in. He does and we get down to business. Our main goal this weekend, be outside constantly and take a hike in the mountains if the weather allows it.

"I want lunch. Let's go to that little diner that we passed in town", Zac starts. "And then we can take Meredith shopping next door because I heard girls like lots of clothes". I roll my eyes.

We head back to the car and down the hill side into town. Noah drives us to the burger place, Mac's diner. We walk in, and the first smell I sense is fries. The greasy fries still seem to smell so fresh. They smell amazing.

A waitress sits at a stand near the door. She tells us we can sit anywhere, so we decide on a booth near the kitchen. The smell intensifies as we walk back. My stomach rumbles even more now.

"I'm going to get the Green Mountain special", Noah starts. I find it on the menu. The Green Mountain special is a 3 pound burger, and 2 pounds of toppings.

"You have to be kidding". I laugh.

Noah ends up not ordering the 5 pound burger, just a normal one, and I end up getting a fried chicken sandwich. It sounded really good. Each one of us orders one of their world famous milkshakes. I get cookies and crème, Noah gets chocolate, Cole gets peanut butter, and Zac gets mint chocolate.

Moments later, our sandwiches come out and they all look delicious. My sandwich is covered in real maple syrup, and I don't think it could have been more amazing. I don't think any of us made a sound as we chowed down on the food. Zac finishes his burger in about 5 minutes. Cole was right behind him. I finish mine last. And in order for me to finish, they all stare at me. I eat slower just to annoy them.

Zac said earlier that he wanted to take me shopping, so we go next door to some little boutique that looks way too expensive. I think they just brought me here to make fun of me. 

Each of the boys hand me a pile of clothes to try on. This is going to take a while. I go into the dressing room and start to change. The first outfit are patterned leggings and a different patterned shirt. The outfit looks terrible, but I know it will make the guys happy. I open the curtain I was behind, and they look over my outfit and start to laugh.

"You look horrible. I have really bad taste", Zac bursts out between laughs.

I go back into the dressing room. Going through the piles of the clothes, I find a really cute dress. It's cobalt blue with lace accents. The dress is amazing. And the length, just a few inches down my legs, was perfect. I do however still have the ice pack on from this morning, it makes a small bump through the dress on my stomach. After putting the dress on, I take a quick picture and send it to Cara. Opening the curtain to show the guys, their mouths almost drop to the floor.

They each gape at me in the dress, each pair of eyes look over my body carefully. I feel like I'm at a museum, but I'm the exhibit. I snap, bringing them back to reality.

"Wow", Cole says, still looking over me. I blush. "I didn't realize that someone could be that beautiful". I blush again.

"I think I want to buy it". I say with a smile.

"Good. You look amazing", Noah chimes in. I notice the lady at the register give us a strange look.

I try on other outfits and dresses, and decide on a few more. Finally, after maybe half an hour of trying things on, I'm done. We head to the counter and I check out with 2 new outfits and 4 dresses. The total only comes out to about a hundred dollars. I'm surprised, most little shops like this are super expensive.

Walking around this town is amazing. All the little shops and stores are so cute, and the view of the mountain from down here is amazing. I've never actually been on the mountain side like this. I've flown over them in planes, and been on the base of them, like California and places like that, but I've never been on them.

After a few hours of walking, I feel the ice in the pack begin to melt and I ask to go back to the hotel to get the one I put in the freezer earlier, and some irritation starts when I walk too fast. The drive up the way to the hotel is tree covered. The bright red and orange leaves paint the way up the narrow road. We park and head up to the room. The elevator ride doesn't take long. We stop in my room. Taking off my sweatshirt, I lift up my shirt to show my stomach. The guys haven't seen my wound since last night when it didn't look this bad. Their eyes widen at the sight.

"Holy sh!t Meredith. What the hell. It didn't look this bad last night. Why is there a line down the middle", Noah examines it for a second. "Did he have skate covers on, because that looks awfully sus."

I nod. "Cara thinks it's his skate. That would explain it, wouldn't it? It hurt so much that I don't even know what he kicked me with shoe wise". I say. The guy's eyes are filled with anger, disgust, and fury.

I change the subject to our next move. It's still only early afternoon, so we decide on a walk up the hiking trail.

Up the mountain we go.

Edited: 3/3/22