Chapter 3: Hockey Practice

Just as the bell rings, the boy's coach walks in. He takes his team's attendance, then notices me.

"Who are you?"

Before I could speak, Cole does, "Coach, this is Meredith. Today is her first day of school here. I took her in this morning after first period. I think I'm going to keep her", I blush, and a few guys whistle behind us. "Her older sister is Cara Adams, on the girl's hockey team", That seems to get the coaches attention.

"You play hockey too?"

"No, just my sister, I personally don't play hockey. I can't really. Too old to start".

"Well, I'm glad to see you've found someone to take you in on your first day. My name is Mr. Rodson. Just call me Coach".

Coach goes on for another few minutes about passing strategies and how to get the puck away. I tune him out. When he finishes, and we all head for the rink.

Cole sits me on the bench, and a few guys wink at me as they head back to change for practice. I take out my phone, finding a text from Cara. Hey, u free for study hall? Want 2 c how first day is going.

I text back, Got a new friend at the rink. Sry. But day is good. I hit send.

Just a second later, I get another text. But it's only guys practice today? They have a game tonight.

Another text comes through just a second later. Wait! Have you fallen for a hockey player already?

What the fuck are you talking about. Stop overreacting. I haven't fallen for anyone. It's just Cole

Another moment later, I get a call from Cara. "What the Hell Mere? What do mean it's Cole? He is the captain of the hockey team. You can't stand hockey. You hate it. Why in the world would you even go near them?

I laugh, "Cara, calm down. It's just one day, and it wasn't really my choice anyway. Cole found me in the hallway during free period this morning. He's sort of taken me under his wing today, or that's what he called it. He's been showing me around today, so Cole brought me over to the rink with him for practice".

"Mere, I am officially jealous of my little sister. Good for you. And maybe if you start to like hockey again, I will be the proudest big sister anyone could ever have", we both laugh. "Bye Mere, have fu-un".

"Bye Cara. See you at home". I hang up the phone just as 15 or so boys skate from the entrance near the locker room and rush onto the ice.

Coach comes up to me, "We have skates if they fit. You may not like hockey, but you never said you didn't like skating".

I take his offer on them and he hands me the pair of size 10s. Perfect. I tie the skates, stepping onto the ice. The next second, I'm on my butt. "Ow", I mutter. I haven't skated in almost four years.

Cole and a few other guys laugh and skate over to me, "You really don't know how to skate do you?" Cole says, holding his hand out. I shake my head as I steady myself on my skates. Cole hold my hands in his hockey gloves until I'm sure I won't fall.

Practice goes on, I slowly skate around the edge of the ice so I could hold the boards, not to fall again. It's hard getting back into it when you haven't done it for awhile.

Noah came up behind me, grabbing the sides of my stomach. I squeal, and fall backwards into him. He laughs and pushes me back to my feet.

"What the hell, Noah", We both laugh.

"Practice is over, and now it's only a few hours until our first game of the season", he sighs happily.

The guys head into the locker room, and I sit on the bench, waiting. Coach and I talk for a few minutes before Cole and the others come back. We all walk back into the school for last period. Cole and I once again have the same class. Geometry.

After class was done for the day, I leave Cole and head to my locker. Cara meets me there and says she is going out before the hockey game. Which means I have to ride the bus home. Great.

I walk out to the 7 buses parked outside the front doors of the school. I was told by the secretary this morning I have to ride the third one to get home.

I find bus #3 parked where bus #2 should be and start towards it. "Meredith", someone calls me. I look around to find Cole headed towards me. "Hey, do you want a ride? Noah and I could take you home".

Before I could answer, someone comes up behind me, pinching my sides again. I squeal, again. I spin to once again find Noah, with a content look on his face.

"Stop doing that! One of these times I'm going to turn around and smack you". I turn back to Cole. "Yeah sure. Why not? As long as I can sit in the back, away from him". Cole laughs and we walk out to Noah's car.

This'll be fun.

Edited: 2/25/22