Chapter 3

*MACIE'S POV*

I rushed home from school eager to finally talk face-to-face with Alex. As I climbed the familiar metal staircase to my room, my brain finally slowed down a bit. I hadn't realized how apprehensive I was about skyping her, I guessed it was just because I hadn't ever heard her voice and I was slightly nervous to hear what it'd be like. Aunt Sue came up to my room shortly after I had unpacked my bag.

"Hey sweetie, I'm going to make dinner and then we can head out and see that movie Steven's been talking about. What's it called, the one with the snowman?"

My smile faltered, I hesitated, Steven had been going on and on about seeing it for a week now. I didn't want to be a damper on the plan but I really wanted to talk to Alex.

"I'm sorta busy tonight," I replied slowly, refering to Alex's skype call, "I would any other night, but this particular night is kinda iffy." Sue's face sort of fell. We did a lot all together and when we did, there was really no getting out of it. Her features turned to disappointment.

"I was really hoping we could all go out together and at least try to be family like, with the holiday coming around soon," she sighed, "but I guess we can postpone it to next weekend." I groaned as she finished speaking. I honestly felt bad that I had to ask this of her. She always wanted to do things together, we were her only kid aged family and I felt bad asking not to go. 

Aunt Sue had met Uncle George, my dad's brother, in high school. They fell in love and married right after graduation however, shortly after their wedding, Sue was in a car accident and although she was fine, her lower body was severly damaged and her ability to have children was taken away. We were the closest to kids she had, so when we were placed in her costudy, her unused motherly personality broke through and took over. Though I was pleased to finally have a mother in my life, it did get annoying time to time and this was definitely one of those times. 

I looked at Sue. "Do you want to tell your brother or should I," she asked slowly creeping back into the hall way. I sighed and sat up on my bed running a hand through my hair. 

"Why can't you two go with Uncle George and I go do what I was going to?" I ask honestly. 

Sue closes her eyes and shakes her head. "That wouldn't be very family like of us. Families certainly don't enjoy time without the others. We'll just do it next weekend. It's fine honey, don't worry about it." 

I fell back onto my bed while Sue shut the door, groaning with frustration. My excitement had been replaced by annoyance and frustration and I wasn't sure how to deal with this. Within minutes I heard Steven's angry whining erupt below me and I let out a heavy sigh knowing I was the reason for this. I rolled onto my stomach and unlocked my phone. It was 4, I had three hours until I had to log onto skype. 

To Alex:

Ugh Sue is guilt tripping me bc she wanted to go to see a movie with the whole fam tonight and I told her I couldn't cause we had plans.

Alex quickly read and began responding.

To Macie:

Sorry to hear. Is it that bad? We can reschedule...? 

To Alex:

No it's fine, she already canceled and told Steven so he'll be in to yell at me soon. Ugh I wish I could just have a normal family for once.

To Macie:

Sorry girl, wish there was something I could do. If it gets bad enough we can reschedule, I'm free tomorrow night. x

To Alex:

I know I was just really excited.

She didn't respond, I locked my phone and threw it on the bed. I opened the door to the bathroom when Steven came storming into my room. 

"MMMAAAAACCCCCIIIIIIEEEEEE," he screamed, "Auntie Suey said it was YOUR FAULT we can't see Frozen tonight! I have been waiting forever what's more important than me?"

He pouted at me with his puppy dog eyes.

"Steven, I'm sorry but I already made plans."

"Do you not love me?" He yelled.

"No baby, of course not! I love you so much, I just made other plans, I'm sure we ca-"

He cut me off, "Please Macie! I just want to see it TA-NIGHT," his New York accent broke through. 

"Look Steven, I'm sorry I made plans, I'm a 17 year old girl, I don't know why you think I have no social life," I said, laughing in my head at the irony, my voice rising, "But I have been waiting for this night for a really long time so I'd really appreciate it if you could shut the fu-hell up and leave me alone!"

Steven's eyes filled with tears, he turned.

"Steven please, wait," but he was already gone. 

I yelled out with frustration and turned back to walk into the bathroom. I started the shower and peeled my clothes off. I stepped in and welcomed the scalding water on my skin, however, it soon became too hot and I turned it down. I tried to ignore the guilty feeling in my stomach and tried to enjoy my shower.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

*CALUM'S POV*

"I know I was just really excited."

So am I, I thought. But I was also nervous. What if she was creeped out it was me? Would she hate me... Or worse, would she freak out and go all crazy obsessed fan on me. I didn't know which I feared more, nor did I know which I would prefer. I closed my eyes and ran my hand through my hair for the umpteenth time that day. The boys hustled around me, but I barely paid them any attention. Luke came over and snapped his fingers in front of my face. 

"CAL," he shouted, "You there?"

I nodded and got off the armchair by the window. He laughed and went back to fixing his hair. 

"You going somewhere," I asked as I walked by on the way to the bathroom.

He didn't respond until I came back out, all the boys there now, "No, but we are." 

Before I knew it, they were dragging me down the hallway and into a car. Once we pulled out of the driveway, I looked at the time, 10pm, I was supposed to be on Skype in an hour. I fished my pockets for my phone, planning on telling Macie, that Alex would be late, but I came up empty. 

"Shit," I said to myself, low enough so that the other boys wouldn't hear me. 

My phone was still in the appartment. On my bed. Out of reach.