Chapter 22

*CALUM'S POV*

I was deep in sleep when I heard her scream. Instinctively, my arms reached out and surrounded her waist, pulling her back into my chest. It had worked every other time, but this time she fought against me in the lurking darkness of the early morning.

"Noaurfhj," she shouted, random letters filling her plead, "Let gorf of mer." I fought back my smirk of a reaction to her sleep talking. I was caught off gaurd when her elbow swung out of nowhere and slammed into my stomach. I gasped and she yelled again, wriggling out of my reach. She wiggled away, still asleep and fell off the bed, hitting the ground with a loud thud. 

"Macie!" I whispered after her, following her quickly towards the bathroom. She reached for the door and then her head snapped up. She turned to face me, tears forming in her eyes, she reached out for me her hand shaking uncontrolably. 

"Calum, what's... I don't- What is wrong with me," she sobbed, her hands raking up her own legs as if she were disgusted with herself. I stepped forward, reaching out my hand. She shrunk away and stepped back, hitting the bathroom door and causing her to fall to the ground. I watched for a minute as she cried, her shoulders violently shaking. I crouched down against the wall and scooted closer to her. Hesitantly, I wrapped my arm around her. At first she flinched but when she looked up at me, she immediately curled into my body. 

"It's okay baby," I whispered as my fingers traced her arm soothingly, "We're going to be okay."

"But you don't know that," she whimpered back. I sighed into her hair. 

"You're right, I don't. But I can promise that I will do anything to make you as okay as possible."

She nodded and pulled her knees closer to her chest. I scooped my arms underneath them and pulled her into my lap. She yelped, slightly started but soon settled. Macie's breathing calmed after a few minutes of cuddling on the ground.

"Ready to go back to bed?" I asked as she nodded off for the fifth time. 

She mumbled a short yes and hooked her arms around my neck. I used the wall to push me up and then I pulled her up with me. I crossed the room and laid her into bed. Her eyes moved behind her eyelids signalling a dream, but she seemed to smile. I sighed in relief that it wasn't another nightmare. I tucked the blanket under on the other side of her and crawled into the covers on the other. Within seconds of me lying down, her head had found my chest using it as a pillow despite the numerous and probably more comfortable pillows around me. My arm snaked around her waist and I pulled her close. Her legs intertwined with mine and she moved closer.

"I promise, I won't let him hurt you, ever," I whispered, before I too, sunk into a deep sleep.

- - - - - - -

*MACIE'S POV*

"Well good morning love birds," Ashton chirped as we walked into the kitchen at 2:30 the next afternoon. 

"We slept all day!" I said throwing my hands up. "We were going to explore!" I pouted. Calum raised my chin with his finger, he was about to say something when Ashton interupted.

"Actually, we already did so with your Aunt and brother, hopefully that's okay, but no one wanted to wake you."

I nodded, had they heard my screams last night? Did they know about the dreams? Or worse, did Aunt Sue realize that Calum most definitely did not sleep downstairs with the rest of the guys. I burried my face into his chest and let him pull me into a hug, disguising my embarrassment.

"We can go later Mace," Calum whispered in my ear. "I think I remember the way to the cliffs and the hospital."

I chuckled at the memory of the last time Calum was here. 

"Well there you two are," Aunt Sue exclaimed walking into the kitchen. 

I looked up. "Good mor- afternoon," I greeted her, Calum doing the same. 

"You guys hungry?" 

Calum answered before me, "Yeah starving actually."

I nodded and sat down at the counter. Aunt Sue pulled the boxes of cereal out of the cabinent and placed them in front of us. 

As I ate my breakfast I could feel two sets of eyes boring into me. 

"Um Macie, can I speak to you for a minute," Aunt Sue asked, breaking the silence. 

I shrugged, "Yeah sure."

She stalked off into the hallway and I hurriedly followed. Once we were out of earshot, she spun around.

"Macie, I thought I made myself clear. The boys were to stay downstairs."

I rolled my eyes, is this what it was about?

"I promise you Sue, nothing happened."

She studied my face, her eyes piercing mine. 

"I just want you to be careful. The last thing the both of you need is a little stinker."

I laughed and quickly hid it, "Believe me, I know. But last night was just for protection," she raised an eyebrow, "No! Not like that! I was having some bad dreams and so I asked him to stay with me." I prefered to tell as much of the truth as possible. 

She walked towards me, nodding slowly. "it's fine for now, but one more surprise sleep over and they're in a hotel for the rest of the week."

I gulped and nodded, unsure if I could spend a night alone what with just happened. 

"Alright you're free to go," Aunt Sue said, snapping her fingers in front of my face. I blinked and nodded, unsure if she had said anything in the recent five minutes. I walked back into the kitchen and sat next to Calum. Luke was across the room, leaning against a counter drinking a cup of coffee. I smiled at him and sat down. 

"So while you are out, doing god knows what, the lads and I are going to go shop around with Steven for a new video game and then we're going to come back and lock ourselves in the basement and not come out until dinner," Luke explained. 

I nodded and Calum laughed. "Thank you for letting us know," he said chuckling. 

Luke nodded and walked out of the kitchen.

"Oh Lucas," Calum sighed. 

I nodded, "I feel it." Calum turned around and looked at me funny. My eyes sorta widened at the realization of what I had said. So fangirly of me. Why? In response to his funny look, I stuck my tongue out which made him laugh. He picked me and slung me over his shoulder, carrying me upstairs.

"Okay, get dressed we have stuff to do," he said, plopping me onto my bed. He hovered over me for a second, pressing a short kiss to my lips. "So hurry up if you wanna get stuff done."

I pushed him off me and sat up, "Get out."

He looked at me confused. 

"You heard me get out," I said more sternly, "I'm not going to change with your gaping mouth within reach of me."

He raised an eyebrow and wiggled it.

"No not like that!" I squealed, pulling him off my bed and into the hallway. "Just wait dowmstairs." I dragged him into the hallway and turned back to walk into my room, slamming the door dramatically. I heard him sigh laugh and then process back down the stairs. 

I turned around and slid down my door. Never before had I been so happy, so content. Everything was working out. Except for the minor detail that Anthony could still be lurking in the shade by the trees. I shivered and closed the curtains, turning away to get ready for my day with Calum.

AN: sorry im so late, im trying to figure out where to go with this and it's a lot harder than you'd think. Also as you know, i got my lisence so my mom has me doing things for her 24/7 now. dont forget to like, comment, and follow <3 love you all stay fab xoxox -em