Chapter 27

*CALUM'S POV*

As I turned to approach the gate, a man bumped into me. 

"Hey man watch where you're going," he sneered, his breath soaked with the smell of alcohol. His spit reached my face and I wiped it off, glaring down at him. He scowled and stumbled off, grabbing the wall to steady himself. I reached forward and handed the woman at the desk my ticket and passport, she checked both and waved me through. I smiled and collected my things before walking into the hallway. At the last minute, I decided to turn and give Macie one last wave, but when I did, all I could see was her back, walking away with the rest of her family. I sighed and brought my arm down, turning back to board the plane. 

As soon as I stepped through the door, it hit me. I was leaving her again. I was leaving her alone with the knowledge that Anthony was still threatening her. I brought my hand to my face and wiped my eyes, trying to ignore the impending migraine creeping into my head. I shook my head and kept walking down the plane's isle. When I looked up, I saw Luke waving me over. I hurried past a woman, holding a small poodle. 

"Hey there little guy," I cooed as I passed. The old woman, in a pink suit snarled at me when I tried to pet the dog. I threw my hands up in surrender and quickly shuffled around her and towards my friends. 

"Sorry I took so long boys," I said as I threw my stuff in the overhead compartment. 

"It's okay buddy," Ashton chirped, "We know how much it sucks to leave people you love behind."

"What," I choked, my throat going dry. Macie and I had barely formed and understandable label for our relationship, let alone admit any deep and serious feelings for each other. For all I knew, I could be the one contributing more. I worried about that often, considering I had more time to develop a liking towards her. Plu,s I wasn't sure if I was ready to admit it to myself that I could be in love. It seemed as though it had happened so fast, as if just yesterday I was still Alex from Australia, just another twitter friend. I mean yeah, she was everything I wanted: funny, adventerous, and not to mention heart stoppingly beautiful, but it was too soon to love her, wasn't it? I mean I could love her, I did really like her and care about her. She brought my heart to a racing speed with one look and ever since our little moment she had been hanging around closer to me. I smiled at the memory of the night before. The way her lips had slowly parted as we gradually expanded the boundaries of the relationship. The closeness of our bodies, the intensity of it...

"Earth to Calum!" Mikey yelled, snapping his fingers in my face. 

"Hm.. I.. w-what?" I stuttered, snapping out of it. 

"We're taking off soon, sit your ass down." I nodded and parked it next to Ashton. Michael and Luke sat behind us bickering about some video game result in which Michael believed Luke had cheated in. 

"So what happened?" Ashton whispered, in a lowered voice so that the others couldn't hear. 

"With what?" I asked him.

"With Macie? Whty'd you freeze up? Did you break it off or something?"

I blinked at him, "No," I lowered my voice, "Erm.. no nothing like that. I just, you just caught me off guard." 

"What? You don't think you love her?"

I rubbed the back of my neck, "Ash, I have no idea what love is? All I know is that when I think about her, I get really happy and I smile. And then all I want to do is protect her and make sure no one ever hurts her again. I want to make her happy the way she makes me. And did I mention how amazing she makes me feel-"

"Woah man I don't need to know those details."

I rolled my eyes and thumped the back of his head, "Not like that," I smirked, "However if you would rather I give you those details, I definitely have a few moments I could share."