Chapter 36

*MACIE'S POV*

"There she is!" A familiar accent called from the opening before us. Suddenly Ashton's arms were around me and I was being lifted off the ground. My suitcase clattered onto the floor and I caught a glimpse of Calum chuckling as he reached to pick it up. After Ashton put me down, Michael and Luke walked over to me and each wrapped an arm around me.

"How ya doing kid?" Luke asked, his general sarcastic tone momentarily gone.

"Better," I answered, assuming Calum had filled them in on everything so I wouldn't need to. Luke nodded and stepped back, grabbing my backpack despite my protests.

"The car is this way," he pointed, walking off with Michael in tow. Ashton walked behind them, leaving Calum and I to pick up the rear. He took my hand and pulled me towards the door and into the warm LA air.

"You're okay, right?" Ashton asked, suddenly serious, once we were sitting in the couch of the 5sos house. Calum noticed my uncomfortable shift beside him and he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me close, comforting me. I let out a gasp of relief as he did so, grateful of that saving grace. I swallowed and nodded, trying not to let the images forcing their way into my imagination prevail in their fight. Calum's grip on me tightened and I opened my eyes to three sets of eyes staring at me.

"Obviously she's not you dick," I just barely heard Luke mumble in response and I couldn't help but crack a smile despite what was in my head. 

"At first I wasn't. At first it sucked and I was terrified and it was just horrible," I rambled, "But then the more time I spent with my family and with Cal," he proudly smiled next to me, "things got better. And yes it's still early and anything could happen like mood swings or he could come after me, but being here is so much safer and I'm feeling good about this vacation." As I spoke, I peered out the window at the sun high in the sky over the city of Los Angeles, the Hollywood sign standing proudly in the distance. 

"Mace?" I heard someone say, pulling me out of my trance. Ashton cleared his throat, "I'm sorry for asking." His eyes fell and he looked at his feet, letting his head hang, "I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

I smiled and shook my head, "I'm better."

I could feel Calum smiling down at me as he kissed my cheek. Michael pretended to gag at us and then turned to the rest of the group, "So what do we want to do lads and Macie?" We all looked at each other, not really having any preferences. 

"How about, because we're all exhausted and jet lagged, we just hang out by the pool?" Calum suggested. The group agreed and we all stood to grab our bathing suits. Calum and I made our way up to our top floor bedroom and I opened my suitcase. 

"Ooh wear that one," Calum suggested, poking my side, as his other hand pointed to my black bikini. I rolled my eyes at him and he raised his hands in surrender. 

"Fine," I huffed, grabbing it and walking into the bathroom to change. Once the door was closed, I slipped my shorts off, followed by my shirt and pulled on the bikini pieces. Once I had somehow successfully tied the strings around my neck, I put my shorts back on and returned to our room. As I walked out of the bathroom, Calum looked up. He was wearing green and blue trunks and hadn't had a chance to put his shirt back on. I almost had to physically close my mouth as I scanned his toned body with my eyes. For once, he didn't catch me staring at him like this, which was probably because he was too busy taking in my appearance. 

"Holy shit," he breathed, "Maybe you shouldn't wear that one, don't want the boys to try and steal you from me."

I blushed and bowed my head, looking at the floor. When I brought my head back up a few minutes later, Calum had come considerably closer. He had just enough time to catch my chin and bring his lips down to mine. I stepped back, surprised by the sheer force his mouth attacked mine with and I all but collided with the wall. He laughed into my mouth and his hands traveled up my back.