Chapter 38

The day was spent in the forest with Charlotte checking on the rabbit traps. Two more had caught and some had been triggered. She let her apprentice get the game and set back the traps, watching as she worked and giving her advice. Clarke was leading Charlotte to the river for a drink when she heard the fog horn of a Trikru blare in the distance.

Her heart leapt as she realized they were probably inside the fog's range and remembered that so was the drop ship. Taking a rapid decision, she grabbed Charlotte's hand and started running towards the art bunker while praying that the others would take refuge in the drop ship. After a frenetic run they finally arrived and Clarke pushed the winded girl inside before closing the door.

"Wh-why are we running away?" asked Charlotte as she caught her breath while holding her side.

"I have a bad feeling." Clarke explained.

"About what?" she shouted hysterically. "We were alone and I dropped the rabbits!"

"The horn, it's a signal." she said calmly but with anger at being spoken so.

"...about what?" came Charlotte's more subdued tone but still unbelieving.

"I don't know." lied Clarke "Might be the cannibals or the Maunon. Can't be anything good."

Charlotte kept quiet while Clarke lit up a candle.

"Better make ourselves comfortable."

And with this Clarke sat on the floor and stretched her legs, soon copied by Charlotte. At some point the apprentice fell asleep and Clarke used some of the art supplies in the bunker to draw the little girl. It was only when her father's watch showed that two hours had gone by that Clarke decided to leave their hideout. It was evening then, bats and birds were flying in the purple sky gobbling insects in their flight, the temperature was becoming fresh and the forests sounds got deeper.

"We need to get to camp."

Charlotte nodded and the two of them began their trek. Every sound they made resonated in the silent forest. Clarke knew it was because the fog had made all animals flee so she was not worried but Charlotte kept throwing hunted looks around her, as if she expected to be attacked from nowhere. It took some time for Clarke to understand that she was probably remembering the Panther's attack.

"You don't have to worry, whatever the horn warned us about has made all animals flee."

Charlotte acquiesced but still didn't manage to relax and spent the rest of their walk glancing right and left and turning back.

Finally, after half an hour they reached camp. The walls were guard less, tents had been abandoned and the drop ship's door was shut. Clarke went to the ship and banged on it thrice then stepped back. Immediately it opened lowering to the floor.

The first-person Clarke saw was Lincoln, his knife ready for anything, then she saw Miller and Octavia who, when they saw her, both threw themselves at her in relief. One by one the Arkers came out of the drop ship and looked around, watching for any signs of destruction. Lincoln came towards Clarke.

"I am surprised to see you alive and well, I thought the fog would have taken you by surprise."

"It would have if I hadn't heard a horn and come to the conclusion that this was a signal of some sort. We took refuge in an old bunker."

Lincoln nodded, satisfied by the explanation but Miller who had been listening to them immediately wanted to know where the Art Bunker was so that he might pick up anything useful from it.

"First I would like to know what that fog was and why everyone thought it would be a good idea to hide from it." Clarke said while turning to Lincoln.

"The fog is a weapon of the Maunon. They hide behind its flesh burning effect. To this day no one has managed to pass through it and therefore seen the Maunon's home. That is why Heda has yet to lead her army to Maunde, with the fog it is untouchable."

"Flesh burning... You mean an acid fog?" Miller asked.

"Yes. It is a slow and painful death that I do not wish on anyone."

Lincoln's eyes met Octavia's who was standing behind Clarke and, as if he had been burned when their eyes met, walked away.

"There was some people hunting when the fog came..."

Harper's voice was weak, fearing for those who had not taken refuge in the drop ship.

"We have to make a head count then send search parties for those missing." Clarke feeling the worry of her friends decided to take action. "Ask Lincoln for assistance as they may have found caves or old bunkers to hide in like Charlotte and I."

Miller, encouraged by the prospect of having something to do, stood back tall and went to get search parties organized.

"You and I" Clarke added as she turned towards Charlotte "will prepare the drop ship for any wounded."

Trikru = Tree People

Maunon = Mountain Men