Chapter 46

Clarke's first politician speech! I'm trembling in fear of having written it wrong. Please comment.

Countdown to CLEXA: 9
XD

Clarke had just finished checking on Atom's leg and showing to the blushing Charlotte how to know if an internal hemorrhage was clogged while ignoring her patient's jibs about 'shyness', 'personal space' and 'wrong messages to the kids' and now, Miller has confirmed to her that all the delinquents, bar for those on watch who had already voted, have assembled in the camp in order to elect their Ambassador who will represent them all in tomorrow's meeting with the Survivors. Bellamy and Murphy had been released for the occasion as they too had the right to present themselves and vote though they would get trialed for their actions afterwards.

Clarke could already see the two of them speaking between each other's in quiet whispers while throwing looks at different members of the hundreds that had distinguished themselves in creating the camp and keeping it in order.

Bellamy will try to become Ambassador. It's his ticket to get freedom from the Ark and his only way to make all hundreds distance themselves from the Survivors by ruining the negotiations.

Clarke worried of what would happen if he succeeded. She had the feeling that the missing delinquent wasn't as missing as they had thought but more likely captured by Mount Weather and now in their 'sweet' care, telling them everything about the camp and their situation or on their experimenting table, his bone marrow sucked dry. She feared that, secluded from both Kongeda and Ark they would be too easy a prey for the bunkered down earthborns and would end up assimilated in their gene pool or as reluctant donors and therefore might end up targeted by the Survivors too, this time in order to prevent the Mounon from surfacing forever.

I absolutely have to become the Ambassador. For me, for Lexa. For our people and, dared to think Clarke, our 'maybe someday'.

When Clarke came out from the dropship and stood on the bridge, all heads turned to her and the buzz of the conversations died. They were expecting her to talk so she did.

"Tomorrow Onya kom Trikru returns expecting us to have decided on a representative who will leave and meet with her Heda. That representative must argument our case and will be the hinge on which the decision of whether the Survivors treat us as enemies and invaders to exterminate or friends to trade with and even allies to protect and help."

Clarke let her words imprint within their minds, insisting on the burden of the responsibility to avoid as many candidates as possible. She knew she wouldn't be able to make Bellamy resign but others might. The less rivals she had, the better.

"If any of you believes him or herself capable of holding such position, I ask of them to step forward and present themselves as a candidate to the title and role of Skaikru Ambassador. "

When none but Bellamy came forward, Clarke had a moment of relief as she wouldn't have to upset and anger someone else. She wanted the hundreds as united as possible for her plan to save them all to work.

"So, we have Bellamy Blake and myself, Clarke Griffin as possible candidates. Since I am presenting myself I will leave the task of organizing the vote to someone else. Let's say... you!"

She had pointed a teenaged boy she had seen playing with the youngest prisoners. From what Miller had told her, he had fed and clothed them and made sure they washed regularly. He would teach them their letters and numbers for an hour before letting them play to exhaustion for another one. She had recognized him from a time he had brought a small girl with a scrapped knee to her in a panic. His actions and caring had given him a reputable standing among the hundreds. The only problem was that since he had never taken part in any conversation on Survivors, the Ark and founding a new and independent village she couldn't figure out whether he was for or against her agenda. Still, he would do as there was no one else to do it.