3 ~ Sneakers

An obnoxious, high-pitched beeping sound echoed from Zailey's alarm clock, which was missing a leg due to the many times she tried to shut it off by throwing it to the floor. Ron was walking by when he heard the noise and burst into the room.

"Papa! Don't you not know how to knock?!" Zailey said through the pillow pressed against her face.

"Sorry, hun, I heard a thud from outside and wanted to make sure you were okay," Ron said. "I was also gonna remind you that there's school today... We've been told your attendance hasn't exactly been... Attendance."

Zailey nodded as if saying, "I'll be good from now on."

***

A couple steps from the school, she sighted her friends standing next to the flagpole. She smiled and waved at them, then pointed to the office entrance, hinting that she was about to make her way over to talk to her Mr. Bates' office.

Before Zailey entered the office halls, Jacque shouted from afar, "Come meet us at the agricultural area after you meet with your boyfriend!"

They all laughed except for Zailey, who pouted as she continued to walk towards the office building.

The agricultural area was, as the students called it, the "secret cemetery" due to its lack in function, dried grass fields, and stones planted on the thick soil. Students could easily ditch from the field since it was situated at the back of the school where there was a fence that was low enough to be climbed and jumped on. Zailey and her friends used it as a mini-getaway from their dreadful classes, and a meeting area before ditching school.

After deciding to give in and sign up to become a tutor, Mr. Bates thanked and wished her good luck. As she walked past the crowded cafeteria, she recognized a familiar face waiting in line for breakfast. Moments after, she realized that it was the employee from the Iris boutique. Though slightly intrigued, she pushed her thoughts to the back of her mind and proceeded to the agricultural area.

The gang was already present at their meeting place when Zailey finally arrived. Her friends all did a "shame on you" gesture, which is when she took the opportunity to give them the finger.

"So, Zai, did you get to talk to your lover?" Josephina joked, everyone laughing except for Zailey.

"Or maybe you didn't get much talking done," Elizabeth added.

Zailey, who was already tense, slapped Elizabeth's arm, "Shut up. I hate him, he hates me. He even forced me to become a tutor."

Her four friends raised their eyebrows as she rolled her eyes.

"So, what's the big deal with this meeting? Don't tell me Destiny got us joints again," Zailey said while crossing her arms.

"Okay, cannabis queen, we're not always here to smoke," Nathan guaranteed her, "We just wanted to get some breakfast at McDonald's during first period. We're all starving and it's the only 'decent' place to get breakfast here."

Zailey sighed, "Well, whatever... McNuggets totally beat hearing Mr. Presa's sarcastic editorial remarks, anyway."

"That's the spirit!" Elizabeth said. "Imagine having to deal with Mr. McRiBATES and Mr. Big Mac with a lot of PRESA-rvatives in the span of an hour... Barf."

"And that little tutor thing... With no fucking pay."

"That's why it's called volunteer work, Dumbo McWeed," Nathan sneered at Zailey again.

"Alright, if ya'll are done with your McDonalds puns, can we get going?" Jacque said.

Several back and forth insults later, the crew stepped closer to the fence. Ironically, the person who gave all of them a boost to get over the fence was Elizabeth, the skinniest of them all. Her strength has always been underestimated by many, including Zai and the other three, because of her very long and skinny arms, and her tiny hands and fingers that seemed incapable of lifting such heavy weights.