29 ~ Head Over Sneakers

Connor quickly got off his motorcycle and ran inside the house to find his father trying to comfort Andrew. The house was an utter mess with throw pillows scattered on the floor, a broken liquor bottle steps away from the entrance, and Janine passed out on the couch.

    "She threw up and passed out," Connor's father said. "I'll clean up this mess. You guys should eat something first."

"I'll take mom to her room," Connor said, lifting her from the couch and carrying her to the room.

He looked through the bathroom and found a cleansing oil. Using a face towel, he gently removed her makeup and rinsed her face with warm water. Before tucking her in, he made sure to remove her jewelry and any kind of clothing that would cause discomfort.

Janine slowly opened her eyes, "Connor, is that you?"

"Are you feeling alright? Here, drink this," he offered her a glass of water.

She drank a sip before giving it back.

"You have to drink the whole thing for all that alcohol to wash out of your system," Connor instructed.

"You're really the only one I can rely on," she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Mom, you have to stop drinking like this... Especially in the house. It isn't very good for Andrew, either."

"Whatever you say," Janine caressed his face, "Whatever my most beloved little son says. I love you."

William came in with a tray with soup, "She asleep?"

"Uh... yeah... We can give it to her tomorrow if you want. I'll put it in another container and keep it in the fridge," Connor suggested.

"Sure, but tomorrow... Is it alright if you told her you made it?"

"Dad..."

"That girl that you brought here... She taught me how to make it. She won't know that I made it."

"She deserves to know."

"I tried helping, but I can't do anything for her anymore. If anything I drive her even crazier."

"Thank you," Connor said. "Just trying to help her means a lot."

Connor leaned back on the wall next to his mother's bed, contemplating on his family's situation. Considering his mother's depression and father's addiction, he couldn't fight back the tears that started to build up in his eyes. He buried his head in his arms, fighting off the spiteful thoughts rushing at full force.

***

Back at the Tsang's, Gavin and Zailey explained what had happened in the boutique earlier that day, as well as tried to convince her parents to let her go to Europe.

    "Europe?!" Lilia exclaimed. "I can fit in your luggage, right? Can't you just smuggle me in?"

    Gavin chuckled at her unexpected response.

    "Does that mean you can participate in the class Europe trip, too?" Ron asked.

    Zailey nodded, "We talked to Mr. Bates and he said it'll be like our reward for representing the school."

    "A school trip? Why didn't tell me?" Lilia asked.

    "Well, you would've forced me to go. And you know that we're short on funds right now, Ma."

    "I can't help it! Your dad always promised me we'd go to Europe," Lilia playfully glared at Ron. "The most romantic place in the world."

    "Ahh, you want romance?" Ron smirked. "Come here... Come here."