18 ~ Happy Birthday, Kriss

After-school, Zailey walked to Connor's locker to find Kriss waving her arms, signalling her presence among the increasing crowd students. Zailey squeezed through the crowd, eventually making it in front of Kriss, who greeted her with a stunningly bright smile.

    "One down, one to go," Kriss said, holding up her index finger.

    "Connor isn't here yet?" Zailey looked around.

    "Nope..."

    "Huh. What's new," Zailey said with a chuckle, holding her hand to her mouth whispering, "He's a real slow-poke."

    "What makes you say that?"

    "We used to have these races to see who can get here faster... And guess who won every time?"

    "You?"

    Zailey held out her thumbs, pointing them to herself, "It's funny how he managed to lose every time."

    "That wasn't fair, your class is like 2 steps away," Connor came from behind her.

    "Well, who was the one stupid enough to agree to play?" Zailey poked his stomach.

    "I'm pretty sure you're the only one that thought of it as a game," Connor said.

    "Oh, really? And that's supposed to justify the fact that you were always out of breath, running to get here before me?" Zailey raised her eyebrows.

    "Alright guys, let's go? I'm starving!" Kriss interrupted.

    As they walked out the school to Kriss' house, Connor teasingly nudged Zailey's arm, though it was quickly returned as Zailey lightly elbowed him. Soon, the two got carried away, laughing as wrestled with each other's arms. Kriss watched them from the corner of her eye, somewhat irritated.

    "Alright! We're here! My mom's gonna drive us," Kriss said, eager to break up their mini wrestling war.

    Mrs. Chaunce dropped the three of them off at the restaurant, before pressing on the gas pedal once again, proceeding to the long road ahead.

    "Why isn't she eating with us?" Zailey asked Kriss.

    "She arranged a date with Mr. Marsh," Kriss answered, disappointment ringing in her tone. "I'll just celebrate with her tonight... If she even comes home."

"Alright, what do you guys wanna eat?" Connor asked.

    "Kriss, you should get some sort of long pasta," Zailey suggested. "You know, it signifies long life."

"You and your superstitions," Connor commented.

"Take em or leave em, don't blame me if you die early," Zailey said.

"I'll be sure to come back haunt you."

"Try me and I'll kick your ghost ass."

"If you aren't too scared."

"I'll overcome my fear... Just so that I can beat you up."

"Wow, I love the effort."

    While waiting for their meal, Connor excused himself to use the restroom, leaving Zailey and Kriss, engaged in conversation.

    "You know... I don't have too many girl friends... So, it means a lot that you don't hate me like everyone else," Kriss said. "Even Elizabeth is gone."

"How could anyone hate you? You seem like a really nice person," Zailey said.

    "According to everyone else, I'm 'Lady Perfect,' the bitch who doesn't know the first thing about being a human bring," Kriss said. "And, I know sometimes I act a bit more straight-forward than most people, but even despite that, you agreed to celebrate my birthday with me."