7 ~ Gun Promises

Chapter 7, as gun promised xD Hope you like it!

"I told you to count the lone pairs, you turkey wad!" Zailey scolded as she looked at Connor's answers.

"I did! I don't know what I did wrong," Connor said, snatching the paper back from Zailey.

For the past two weeks, Zailey and Connor took the bus together and rode from Featherfield High to Lilia's Bakery. They worked three-hour shifts at the bakery, and at around 6 pm, developed the routine of coming home to Zailey's house for dinner. Their tutoring sessions carried on after their meal, making the most out of the time they had. It had been exactly two weeks since they first met, and also the night before the Chemistry exam retake.

In the short amount of time Connor spent with the Tsang family, he got along extremely well with them. Jason, who enjoyed having a "big brother" around, was especially fond of him. As they studied, Jason would often come up to Connor with his arms filled with toys. He would stay by their side until he fell asleep on Connor's lap. As for Lilia and Ron, he knew just what to say to them, from giving out secret recipes from some restaurants he worked at in the past, to which team to bet on when watching sports on TV.

It was around 7 o'clock on a Thursday night, the night before the chemistry exam retake. Lilia brought the two a batch of fresh cupcakes with vanilla icing and cookie crumble sprinkles. She stood behind them and placed two cupcakes on the table.

"Where's my extra one?" Zailey complained.

"Honey, this is your second one," Lilia said.

"Three is for 'I love you?'"

"Three is for 'I don't care.'"

Lilia made her way to Ron, who was on the computer preparing his résumé and searching for more jobs. She fed him a cupcake, while his eyes remained directed towards the computer screen, fingers typing on the keyboard. This was followed by a quick kiss on the lips. Zailey, disgusted by the PDA, stuck her tongue out, cringing. She stuffed her face with the cupcake, licking the icing. Connor bit his lip to refrain himself from laughing.

"What are you looking at?" She glared at him.

"Sorry," Connor said, "You're just... Cute."

She cleared her throat as she desperately tried to conceal the smile forming between her lips, "Ugh. As if this cupcake isn't sweet enough. Don't make me gag."

"Okay, solve this question. It's Hess' Law, the simplest topic," Zailey said and took a bite of the cupcake.

Connor stared at the problem, trying to comprehend it.

"Don't tell me you don't know how to do this either," Zailey mumbled with her cupcake-filled mouth.

"Can you not talk with your mouth full?"

"Can you stop stalling and get on with the question?"

Lilia overheard Zailey's feistiness, "Zai! Be nice to our guest."

"Hmph," Zailey crossed her arms, "Guest... This isn't Beauty and the Beast, Ma!"

"You sure? It really looks like it," Macy said. "Connor is the beauty, and you're the-"

Zailey glared at her, "Don't you even dare."

Macy bit her lip and hid behind Connor, "Just say that you love her so she's not that scary anymore!"

Zailey scowled, "You little-"

"Don't forget the deal!" Connor reminded her.

"I wasn't saying it to you, pickle-brain," Zailey said.