12 ~ Sudden Confession

Connor, Zailey, Andrew, and Macy walked together on the sidewalk in awkward silence, refusing to make eye contact. Macy glanced at Connor, and then at Zailey, wondering what exactly had transpired between them. Once they reached the pedestrian crossway, Andrew hurried to Zailey's side and took her hand.

    "May I escort you through the sidewalk?" Andrew asked proudly.

    "You, my little brother, need to hold your older brother's hand when crossing the road," Connor took Andrew's other hand.

    "Connor, why don't you hold Macy's hand. He already has a partner," Zailey winked.

    "Zai! We're not little kids!" Macy argued.

    "So, you don't want to hold my hand?" Connor pouted, held out his hand.

    "Well..." Macy blushed, "Okay!"

The four came home and entered Connor's empty house. They took off their shoes and carefully placed them beside the door. Zailey walked to the sofa where a kitten laid on its belly.

"How have we never seen him before?" Zailey watching the small kitten sleep.

"It's actually a her. She usually doesn't leave from under the couch unless the house is empty. Or when Kriss comes over," Connor said.

"Oh, right... You're always mentioning him. What's he like?"

Being the animal lover she was, she attempted to pet the cat. Before she could lay a hand on it, it hissed, extending its long claws. Zailey flinched and backed away from the angered cat.

"Sorry," Connor said, "She's pretty aggressive to strangers... Like you."

"So she's the cat you wanted to cuddle with back at the restaurant?"

"Uh... Kind of," he bit his lip.

Macy held her fingers out, letting the kitten sniff it. The kitten nudged her hand with its head, granting permission her permission.

"What the hell?!" Zailey pouted and pointed to it.

"I guess she hates you," Macy said, pursing her lips.

"Shut up," Zailey added.

"What's her name?" Macy asked.

"Well, Connor calls her Kisses, but I think Kit-Kat is better," Andrew said.

"Maybe Connor just wanted to name it something he can't get," Zailey teased.

"Oh... I've had plenty. Trust me," he said, slowly leaning towards her. "You want one?"

Zailey backed away nervously, "Uh..."

He smirked and pulled away, "There are some in the fridge if you're craving chocolate."

"Ah... That kind of kiss."

"Mhm," he said smugly. "Keep it a secret from Andrew though... He can eat the whole bag in less than 5 minutes."

***

The Tsangs had just finished packing the last of their belongings when they heard loud banging on the door. The small statured Andrew stood on his tiptoes and looked through the peeping hole. He opened the door as he saw Janine continuously knocking on the door.

"Oh dear, I forgot my keys!" Janine rushed inside and searched for her house key.

"You're home early today," Connor said.

"Connor, can you help them settle at the new place? I have to go back to work. I'll see you guys!"

"You're not staying for dinner? Dad will be home soon," Andrew started, but before he could finish, Janine was already out the door.