37 ~ Forever

Connor's eyes widened at the completely unexpected news, "What?"

"I think it's best if you talk to your mom first," Lilia said. "We were out most of the night last night because we were helping her organize the files."

Still completely paralyzed, Connor looked down in shock, "That's... That's... No, I can't."

"Connor," Ron put a hand on his shoulder, "Listen, I know it's a bit hard to take in, but your parents will be able to explain."

"I just got off the phone with Janine. She's waiting for you at home," Lilia said.

Connor let out a short exhale before nodding, "Then, I better go."

"Hold on, let me pack you some breakfast. You can share with your family."

"Thank you."

"Wait, Connor..." Lilia said before placing her hands on his shoulders and hugging him. "It'll be alright."

He took his sweater which hung on the wall coat rack, noticing the word written on it: FOREVER. He turned back to Zailey, who for the first time in a long time, looked relaxed and peaceful. No. He wasn't going to let anyone break that. He wasn't going to lose her.

"Connor! I've been worried about you! Why didn't you call last night?" Janine rushed over to him.

"Mom, what is this about leaving?" Connor looked at her with a stern expression.

Janine looked down, and sighed, "I've been meaning to talk to you about it for a long time... And well... Let's sit down and eat breakfast first, okay?"

"No, we're talking about it now," he said. "What's going on?"

After hearing the ruckus, William entered the room, "We're getting a divorce."

Connor looked at him, stupefied. He always knew his family would eventually end up in pieces, but reality felt infinitely more painful than the idea.

"The two of us have to leave right after the court processes the papers."

"And Andrew?"

"Andrew stays with me," William said.

"No. That's not gonna happen."

"Connor, I have no right to custody over Andrew. He isn't my biological son," Janine said, squeezing his hand. "I'm sorry."

"Well, I'm staying here too, then," He shook his head before rushing back out the door.

He drove off before Janine could get outside to stop him. Picking up the speed, he rode past almost two dozen cars before stopping at a red light. After clearing his mind, he made his way back to the dorm.

"Hey, you're back. You didn't even say goodbye," Zailey asked when she answered the door.

He shook his head and pulled her into a tight hug, "I don't want to..."

"Huh?"

"I'm not."

Her eyebrows furrowed as she placed her hand on his cheek. "Wait, Connor, what's wrong?"

"Zai's fever went down," Lilia joined them at the front door, "I'd appreciate it if you took her out to get some air. She's been complaining about the stuffiness."

"Thank you," Connor smiled at Lilia before taking Zailey's hand.

Just by the tightness of his grip, Zailey could tell there was something off. She tightened her grasped attempting to offer him a bit of comfort.