38 ~ Gun Promises and Goodbyes

"I don't understand, mom... The papers haven't even been processed yet." Connor argued for a millionth time that week.

"Look, I'm sorry. But there's nothing we can do. We're leaving today and that's final," Janine said.

"You're making me leave my whole life here... I won't even graduate the school I attended for four years. Leave Dad, Andrew, and Zailey... And you can't even give me a good explanation?" He said. "Just tell me what's actually going on... I promise, I'll understand."

"There's nothing to it, Connor. We're done putting up with your father. I want a fresh life for both of us."

"A fresh life for us?  I don't even understand half of the things you're doing right now. Please, stop acting selfish."

"Fine! I'm acting selfish. I want to be happy, I want to live according to what I want... For once, I wanna stop torturing myself."

"What's going on in here?" William entered the room.

The fatigue in his expression was apparent, portraying the reality of which he had forced himself to stay awake and sane through the entire divorce process.

Connor never thought to sympathize with his father, but for the first time, he pitied him. 

Despite the hopeless doom his family life has always been, this time felt different. It felt empty and lonely. He couldn't bear to imagine coming home to an empty house, and not having to take care of the people he loved.

Janine sighed and grabbed her luggages, "Nothing. We were just about to leave."

Though there was obviously something on William's mind, he wasn't able to squeeze a word out. Janine rushed to the front door and reached for the knob, but was stopped as William put his hand on the door.

"Janine... I don't think I can do this. Just give me another chance, I'll-" He was cut off as Janine forced the door open with all of her strength.

"Connor, let's go," she said, completely ignoring him.

"Mom, at least listen to him... We have plenty of time left," Connor said.

"So he can convince me to stay like he did the past 20 years? I don't think so," Janine said before walking down the driveway to wait for Lilia to pick them up.

Connor looked at him with comforting eyes. "I'll try to talk to her."

"No," William shook his head. "She's right. It's been a long and sad 20 years. I've always wanted to give her an anniversary present she actually wanted. I think this is it."

"Connor! Connor! Don't leave me!" Andrew called out, running to him.

"Andrew, I'll be back soon, I promise," Connor wiped his streaming tears.

"I-I d-don't wanna wait!" Andrew sobbed. "Don't leave..."

"Hey, hey... You'll get a lot of presents from when I visit. And I'll come to all of your birthdays and holidays."

Andrew jumped onto him, tightly holding onto him, "I'm sorry for bothering you so much. If you stay, I'll do all my chores and help you. I can get a job, too!"   

"Andrew, this isn't your fault at all, I want you to know that. But I do want you to help out more, okay? The house better still be here when I get back."

"Connor," William put a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you for everything. Take care of your mom, alright?"

"I will. And same goes for you and Andrew... Take care."