50 ~ Staying Away

Zailey felt soft, warm lips envelop hers, waking her from her sleep. Electrifying tingles ran from her lips to her spine, arching her back in response. His tongue fought for entrance, taking advantage of the slight parting of her lips. She moaned as he lightly bit her lower lip, triggering fireworks inside of her. Giving in, she slid her hands away from his hard chest and wrapped them tightly around his neck.

Ring Ring Ring

Zailey opened her eyes and found herself sitting all alone in the living room.

Connor.

The uniquely recognizable taste and feeling of his touch swarmed her every nerve fiber. She could have sworn it was him. Her senses would not be in overdrive for it to have been a mere dream.

Attempting to shake off the heavy disappointment which was stuck like a pebble in her throat, she quickly answered her phone.

"Gavin?" She said with a hoarse voice.

"Hey, I thought we were meeting at your condo?"

"Wait, what?!" She said, forcing herself up. "What time is it?"

"It's midnight. Where are you? I'll pick you up."

"N-No! I'm close by... I just fell asleep. I'm coming," she said.

"Zai," His voice was firm. "Where. Are. You."

"I had to pick up Macy's charger from Andrew..."

"Andrew... You mean Connor's brother? You're in his house?!"

"We'll talk about this later. I'm on my way," She put her shoes on and ran out the door.

In the corner of the room, Connor hid behind a house plant. The first thing he spotted and darted to once the phone rang. The ringing brought him back to his senses... Or at least his morals.

I almost kissed another man's girl. Connor felt simultaneous stabs to his chest. He held his breath, running his fingers through his hair. He stood up from behind the houseplant, still unable to recover. The insistent throbbing of his chest ravaged on, plagued by both guilt and ungratified desire.

He was a bad person. How could his self-control fail him so easily?

Despite the desperate attempts to tame his conscience, something in him pulled him out to the street to run towards someone he knew he didn't deserve.

"Ms. Tsang," he caught his breath and refrained from displaying even a hint of emotion.

She turned around, somewhat relieved to hear his voice. The deep, smooth voice that either calmed her or drove her insane. This time, it was both.

"Y-You're still up?" She asked shyly, suddenly remembering her dream.

"Your phone woke me up," he said. "Why are you running?"

She didn't see what he was about to do, did she?

"I just felt like going for a run," she said.

"All the way back home?"

"Yeah, why not..."

"It's midnight, there are plenty of reasons," she gulped as he walked towards her.

With every step he took, Zailey's view of him got clearer. Was this a movie? Why was he going in slow motion? The street lights dimly lit his figure, highlighting him in just the right places.

Damn, is it hot in here?

She tried to look away, her eyes soon landing on his again. He stopped just a few feet away, revealing his sharp, clear eyes. She remembered that look... It was the same look he had when she had a panic attack in Iris boutique. The look that assured her he was right beside her... Always.