5

**Chapter 5**

Hans turns off behind us to go pick up the other guardians and hour away from Paris. I came to a halt at a gas station an hour and a half later. Hans was 45 minutes out. Dimitri woke-up when I parked the car.

'I'm getting us something to eat.'

'That sounds great.' I replied. I help straighten his hair. I chuckle a little and he pulled me closer and gave me a kiss then set off to find us some food. I leaned against the car with my freezing hands in my jacket pocket. Observing my surroundings in the daylight. Well, what is left of the daylight? We ate and were done when Hans and the others arrived. We all gave introductions then set out. Dimitri back at the wheel and half of our car full of guardians. We got the perfect scouting high ground from a hill overlooking the Ivan estate. We have scouts at all angles of his place. Counting about 20 to 35 strigoi.

A number far too great for the handful of guardians we have here. We retreated to the town and began to strategize at a small motel we found. Hans asked Dimitri how strigoi like to patrol and protect their base of operation. Dimitri explained how they go about and how quickly power can shift in a nest strigoi layout. Remembering Siberia just too vividly. I turned away looking out the window of our room.

Wrapping my arms tightly around myself. Let the boys talk plans and things; I'll just fall in line with what they plan. It's going to be the same relived memory all over again anyway. Too many painful memories. I head out to our room on the second floor. Sitting on the bed staring at the ugliest carpet known to man. I felt nausea's again and ran to the bathroom just in time. Two hours later Dimitri came into our room, looking for me.

'Rose?' He called. He found me lying next to the toilet.

'What's going on?' He asked smoothing my hair back.

'I think it's food poisoning.' He felt my damp forehead.

'Are you okay?' I asked feeling very concerned about him.

'I'm perfectly fine.' He told me laying his duster over me.

'I think there is something for nausea in the first aid kit.' He said then left to go fetch it in the car with our bags. He returned and I was busy in the toilet, he came to hold my hair. I felt so drained. He gave me two tablets to drink then carried me to bed. I fell asleep in his arms on the way to our bed. The pills seem to be working. Halfway through the night, I was as right as rain. Dimitri was like my private nurse hovering over me. I keep reassuring him I felt much better than he should get some rest before we set out tomorrow. We both fell asleep again.

Dreaming of a cute little boy and girl both about 2 years old running and play around Dimitri and me, where we are having a lovely picnic. Then a darkness set in and horror is all around me. Dimitri and our kids lay dead around our picnic area. No! I cried out and sunk to my knees beside the man I love's body. In tears, I crumble in on myself besides him shaking violently in shock. Arms holding me tightly woke me from my nightmare. My eyes filled with tears when I open them and looked right into Dimitri's sad looking eyes. I buried my face in his chest.

'It was awful.'

'It's okay. It's all over now.' He said just keep holding me. After that, I got up and took a shower then got dressed for our mission we have to embark on in two hours. Dimitri went back to sleep. My nausea wanted to come back so I took another two tablets with water. Heard the whole motel getting busy I stuck my head out the door and it was about forty guardians up and about an hour later I woke my man with kisses. Dimitri got dressed and ready for the task at hand. He came and stood in front of me before we head out cupping my face in both of his hands. My nausea almost spills over.