15

The first young guardian stepped in my office.

'Guardian Brown, please to meet you. Please take a seat.' I said as he saluted me and I returned it as I closed the door behind him. Earlier I pinned my hair up so he and his friends can see all my marks.

'What can I help you with guardian Brown?'

'Ma'am it's about my placement you declined.' He voice went all cocky tone.

'What about it?'

'I would like to know why you declined it.' He said in a pissed off cocky way now.

'First of all, I did what I thought was best for the royal family that requested you and I know you guardians have to start somewhere to build their reputation but at our current situation of too many moroi being unprotected it is a really big risk so I assigned someone that have previous fighting skills.'

'But that's- that so unreasonable. I'm as good as any other guardian out there. I think this is sexist of you to have done it.' He said jumping up and pressing a finger into my desk a few times as he snapped at me. I crossed my arms and just continue to listen to him yammering on and on as his arrogance and cockiness just flow freely.

'That's enough!' I said aloud in a firm voice. 'This is the exact reason I didn't grant you the request. Your arrogance and cockiness can cost your moroi's their lives when you're in a strigoi attack.'

'But I...' He began but I cut him off.

'I think you should go and readjust your attitude first guardian Brown. I did what I did to protect you and moroi's out there. I have assigned you to guardian William Van As at HQ training. He will tell you what to do and give me reports on your progress on your attitude.' He just looked at me with his big eyes.

'Yes, ma'am.'

'Good, you may go report in now.' He salutes me and me him. The next young guardian step in. He was kind of cute a perfect date for Lissa's little sister Jill.

'Guardian Torrani.'

'Guardian Belikov, thank you for seeing me.' He said saluting me and I returned it and closed the door behind him and motion for him to sit.

'How can I help you today guardian Torrani?'

'I'm here ma'am to find out why my request has been denied. I have perfect scores and really good scores on my finals. Not once through my trails have a pretend strigoi captured my moroi.'

'That is just it, pretend strigoi. I have done what I have to, too protect moroi the best way possible. If you're faced with a real strigoi out there and it's one of your friends you will have to kill, will you be able to kill them?' He was silent, crossing his arms across his chest and sank into his chair glaring at me. Arrogance emanating from him in waves.

'Of course, I will kill them. That is what we are trained to do.'

'Words and reality are two very different things, guardian Torrani.'

'Why is this even relevant?'

'Attitude can either change you for the good or the bad but never together. In our line of work attitude can help in a fight to reason clearer but if our attitudes are not changed it can either kill you and your moroi or save them. What will you choose guardian Torrani your arrogance can cost you greatly unless you change it. I assigned you to guardian Eric Long. He will tell you what to do and will send me a regular report on your progress.'

'This is total bull shit!' He said jumping up and yelled at me.

'You do not raise your voice to any high ranking officer. Do you understand me, guardian Torrani.' I sound like Alberta back at St Vladimir. It kind of felt good.

'Yes, ma'am.'

'Fail to comply and I can give you any job here at court that can make your life hell. The offer is still on the table unless you do want a filling job here in HQ's basement, until you 30. You have a great opportunity here to turn your life around and to learn from a really great guardian. What will it be?'

'It will be an honor to learn from guardian Long.' He said through gritted teeth.

'You may go now and report for duty.' I dismissed him. Veronique sends in the last of the three.

'Guardian Valovsky.'

'Guardian Belikov.' We saluted and jumped right in. Just like the first two, this young guardian took the cake and a couple of donuts. He through a proper hissy fit in my office and even yelling at me about refusing him his chance. Me being Rose had a comeback for all his fits he through.

'That's the last of it! No one yells at me. I'm your commanding officer and am not your mother. You will obey orders given to you guardian Valovsky, are we quite clear on that?' I said staring him down that he backed off.

'Your attitude stinks the most between the first two guardians that were in here. I suggest you go and sit and think about your current attitude, I have assigned you to guardian Mikhail. He will send me regular reports on your progress. Maybe if you change your attitude you might become a much better guardian that can better protect their moroi.' He hung his head then left my office.

For all three of them, I gave them two envelopes to hand in as they report for duty at their different stations. One letter is their assignments and the second one is to explain why I send them and what the purpose was of the assignments. All three guardians thanked me for the extra help and will send in a report of their weekly performances. After my official duty, I drove to where Lissa's had a courtroom session.