Chapter 6 -Marrying the Prince

Usually, I know kind elvens when I see one. I seldom get a miss on that. Magaan ang loob ko kay Princess Lanuza. Bukod sa maamong mukha nito at sobrang malumanay magsalita, pakiramdam ko'y totoo ito sa kabaitang pinapakita.

"How have you been adjusting, Lady Idrish?" mahinang tanong nito habang nakatanaw sa mapayapang kagubatan ng ikapitong rehiyon. Nililipan ang pilak nitong buhok ng malamig na hangin.

Hindi ko alam ang isasagot ko sa prinsesa. Kahit pa man magaan na ang loob ko dito, hindi ko pwedeng isuko ang pader na namamagitan sa amin. My firm guard is the only defense that can make me safe now. I won't let my emotions come across.

"I think I am doing well. Whatever our king wants me to do, I am of no rank not to oblige." I answer firmly without glancing at her. I like Lanuza's positive presence, but something is holding me back -my defense mechanism.

It is better this way. A lowly ranked elven like me can always be betrayed by her own kind. An act of kindness can be real or a medium to let me fall into their pit of trickery.

I have to stay safe... for Poras and Cali.

"This ranking system is not the kind of life I envisioned for the people of Springgan." She sighs deeply. I can feel how disappointed she is. There is sadness in her face which she is trying hard to hide. It seems so real.

"Be a queen of the majority. Then change the governance. Change the system y-Your Grace." I utter pretending I am innocent with the government and how it is being run by the Feluns and their successors.

Innocence sometimes it is ignorance. If innocence and ignorance is not an excuse to the law of the land, I stand firm that innocence sometimes saves someone from judgement and possibly betrayal.

"That's not how easy it is Idrish." She smirks and her smile reaches her eyes like she is fascinated by the faultlessness I bear. "Our house cannot be like the Feluns. Though the second region has been living in peace for centuries, we still want fairness and equality for everyone. Iba pa rin ang nabubuhay na walang dala-dalang marka o rango. Mas malaya. Mas payapa."

Tumango-tango lang ako. I remain quiet while she speaks.

"House Calore can beat the Feluns if the seventh's delegation wins the Solstice and Equinox Arena. This winter, that may happen. It may change the game. It may change everyone's fate."

Kumunot ang noo ko sa narinig. Pakiramdam ko'y may puntong gustong tumbukin ang prinsesa. Isang ideolohiyang gusto niyang malaman ko. Isang paksang patungkol sa akin.

"Your Grace, h-how can House Calore take the majority? How can they win the SnE Arena?" I feel that it is the right thing to ask. Ask the direct question that could suffice the answer.

Seryosong tumitig ang mga mata nitong dala-dala ang malalim na karagatan. She examines my face. Intently. "Marry the prince of the seventh. Then represent the house for the arena."

There. She spills the news. The ideology that I am waiting to be divulged. The king wants me to marry his son.

To save him from the impending death on the SnE Arena.

To represent the house.

To use whatever is in my hands—a power passed by the queen.

My jaw literally drops upon hearing her. Nakita ko ang kalungkutan sa mga mata nito. Walang bakas ng tuwa o pagdiriwang ang mukha niya pagkatapos niyang sabihin sa akin ang totoong dahilan kung bakit ko pakakasalan si Prinsipe Killan.

"Lady Idrish, I wish I could stop this marriage. Pero tanging ito lang ang nakikita kong paraan para maisalba ang nakararami sa ranking system. You have to marry Prince Killan and win the Winter SnE."