Chapter 31- A Series of Veracity

I am about to press my wrist for a recall when suddenly I hear the crunch of the crispy dead leaves and twigs nearby. Someone's around. Umikot ako para lingunin kung sino ang dumating.

Bumungad sa akin ang lalaking nagligtas sa buhay ko—si Killan.

I am petrified just by looking at his dark eyes.

Sinamantala nito ang hindi ko paggalaw para kaagad na makalapit. Bigla kong naramdaman ang mainit na palad nitong humawak sa kanang braso ko. Hinila ako nito at kusa naman akong humakbang para sumunod sa mga yapak niya.

Dinala ako ng lalaki sa likod ng makapal na kumpol ng mga wild blue berries at cleavers. Nakatayo lang ako sa harap nito habang pinagmamasdan siyang tanggalin ang kanyang maskara. The moment he reveals his godly face, I see the longing in it. His soul speaks longingness. I can feel it.

He gasps for air and stares at me intently. Then without hesitation, his strong hands pull me towards him. He wraps me with his muscled arms. Tight.

"Idrish, you're safe." bulong nito sa tainga ko habang nakayakap sa akin.

Hindi ko kaagad natumbasan ang yakap niya. Nagulat ako sa ginawa ng lalaki. I am shocked but I like how it feels. I like how the warmth of his body blankets me and provides me a temporary feeling of security.

Sa wakas ay nagawa ko itong yakapin pabalik. It feels even better. I can hear his heartbeat—it's fast. I can feel the movement of his chest. I can feel him.

Nang humiwalay ito'y hinawakan ako sa magkabilang balikat habang nakapukol ang itim niyang mata sa mata ko. "It's surprising, my longing for you the moment you left House Calore never quiets."

Napalunok ako. I am not expecting him to say those words, but he did. My jaw gently drops to show my disbelief. "A—and you're here."

Tumango ito saka yumuko para mas lalong maglapit ang aming mukha. Sumeryoso ang titig nito na tila nagbabadyang ang mga susunod na sasabihin ay labis kong hindi magugustuhan. "You have to leave the arena."

His announcement shocks me. So, I have to ask, "Why?"

"It's not safe for you Idrish. Leave Mors and find Cali and Poras in the first region."

Natigagal ako. Hindi ko maintindihan ang gustong mangyari ng lalaki. Bakit nasa first region ang mga kapatid ko? Kumunot ang noo ko at napahakbang ako paatras.

Killan sees the gesture and the hesitance. He further explains what is really happening. "I know you did not kill my mother. The elves responsible for my mother's death, they're here! To take you down."

"Because of the gauntlet?" Umiling-iling ako nang pumasok sa utak ko ang ideyang, ang gauntlet ang siyang puno't dulo ng kaguluhan sa buhay ko. "T—they can take the gauntlet. I don't want it. I just want a peaceful life."

"It's not that easy, Idrish." He leans to me even closer. His eyes examine my face.

"Then tell me what is it? Why suddenly I have the queen's gauntlet?"

"You are the remains of the old tale," he says. He pulls his gaze away from me.

"Old tale? The four queens? Winter, Vernal, Summer and Autumn?" I say almost in disbelief. My expression hardens.

"They're real, Idrish. You're real! The heirs of the four queens are real." His brows furrow. Muli itong napalunok. "The queen was an heir to the winter gauntlet. There are many others who are within the bloodline. You were chosen—you were next in line."

I take a step forward, my eyes narrowing on his face.

His jaw tightens as he gazes back. Confusion dances in his eyes.