Chapter 9 -The Mors Map

The following days are a bit easier. All plotted events are on their way for execution. There is no council trying to stop me or meddle with my long embraced fate. No king watching my every move. No prince or a husband would jump into something without my prior consent.

Just me.

In a training hall. Watching all the highlights in the past winter, vernal, summer, and autumn arena.

All I see are injured and dead warriors and victorious ones.

Most delegates die in the arena.

Gaya ng kinalakhan kong winter arena, gaganapin ang paligsahan sa ikalawang bilog na buwan ng pagbagsak ng niyebe -isang lingo mula ngayon.

Sampong kalahok mula sa sampong rehiyon ang magtatagisan ng lakas at kapangyarihan sa kagubatan ng Mors. Mahahati ang mga kalahok sa dalawang koponan -lima laban sa lima. Limang kalahok ang susubukang protektahan ang anim na tore at base o higher ground ng Septen at ang lima nama'y sa Meridio.

Matatapos lamang ang labanan at tatanghalin ang panalong koponan sa oras na sumuko ang isa sa dalawang koponan o tuluyan nang masira ang base ng isang kampo.

Dinisenyo ang kagubatan ng Mors para sa arena. Bahagi na ng tradisyon at kultura ng Springgan ang patayan apat na beses sa isang taon. The arena is already a part of our day-to-day endeavor. The ranking system is what defines Springgan.

I always say I don't want the tradition to change me and my belief. That I, even though I am a lowly ranked elf, would like to change the tradition to fit what I believe is fair and just.

I question the Springgan culture most of the time. They say that one's culture is one's personality... one's identity. I think that the killings and the ranking system separating or segregating the people don't represent my vision.

It does not represent me.

And yet, I submit myself to an arena where I could be killing innocent lives for the sake of the trophy. Of the household rank. For someone's crown. Someone's power.

"Too busy memorizing the details, huh?" I hear a sexy baritone voice from the door that recently opened. Then his footsteps gearing towards me come next. Paiga-iga ito nang lingunin ko. Walang benda sa binti at brasong binalian ko pero sa tingin ko'y hindi pa rin niya ito maigalaw ng maigi.

He looks devilishly handsome with his vengeful eyes. He comes close to where I stand. As dark as the gloomy night, his raven eyes check my every move. He wet his lips for some reason I couldn't figure out. He stares. Sharply. Steadily.

"Stop staring," I speak undertone. My flesh almost melting.

"I can stare whenever I want." His voice turns husky and daring. My hairs started moving upwards.

I keep my calm. Pretending I am staring at the monitors where events in the arena are played. Sana hindi ako traydorin ng reaksyon ko. This feeling his bringing me is strange, and I am not so good at hiding it.

"I am your husband, your prince, and you are my wife, princess, and future queen. Like what you said, we always share ideas on huge matters."

He waits for me to respond. "Go on; I'm listening."

He steps sideward to get nearer to me. I can feel the tension dwelling beyond the space that separates us. "The Mors field is deadly. It's three times as deadly as you imagine them to be."

"I have imagined the worse part. So, I think I'll be fine."

Nilingon ako nito. Malamlam ang mga mata nitong natatabingan makakapal na pilik mata. He looks godly handsome. I cannot deny that. "Stop staring." Ganti nito.

Mabilis kong binawi ang aking tingin. I feel his stare is on me as I fake to be looking at the Mors map. I think my fucking cheeks burn. This is strange.

He sighs and heaves heavy breathing slightly.

His eyes are on the map -a piece of land covered by mostly trees, hexagonal in shape, with a river that flows across it. "The Mors forest has three lanes. Equally deadly paths you may walk or run through when you get there. Senta is the middle lane. Shita is the eastern or bottom lane where poisonous plants dwell. Appu, the western or the top lane is where wild animals live."

Alam ko na ang mga nabanggit nito. I have been witnessing arenas every season. I have viewed most of the events on those lanes just now. "Get to the point, Prince Killan. Why are you lecturing me about Mors?"

"Most elves perceive the lanes as the safe spot. Yes, it can be a safe spot if you are near any watchtowers. But those lanes make you more visible to the enemy. Remember, the creatures in that arena are not the greater danger; it's the enemies from the opposite camp."

"Are you suggesting that I don't go to any of those lanes?" I ask, glancing him back.

Tumango-tango ito. Then he sighs again. "You are clever. You impress me."

"Stop patronizing me, prince."

He laughs—a controlled one. "Don't stay visible by staying into the lanes. Hide and slit a throat if necessary."

"I should stay in the jungle, you mean?"

"Yes." He confirms. Then he moves to get behind me.

I am petrified. His gesture is a bolt from a blue. I smell his presence behind me. His scent is becoming more addicting.

And I hate that I like it.

"Remember that the number of kills won't make you a victor. Kill when necessary. Run when you must. Hide when you can." Naramdaman ko ang init ng hininga nito sa batok ko. Itinuro nito ang buong kagubatan ng Mors saka doon pinaikot-ikot ang daliri.

"I was born to hunt." Sinubukan kong kontrolin ang paghinga ko. Him behind me makes my breathing uneven. "I know the basics. No one goes wrong with the basics."

Finally, he leaves my back. I feel the cold air on my back as he moves away from me. Then he stands on my left. His serious gaze comes next. "The delegates of the other nine regions, they're powerful. They're the cream of the crop. They will be hard to kill."

I look back at him. There is fear on his face. I don't know where the fear is coming from.

"I know." I sigh. "The arena is in three days."

"I'm confident you'll survive it. Even win it!" he says with confidence in it.

"H-how sure are you I will?"

"You hold one thing that others would kill for, Idrish." He moves closer. Now he holds my hands and presses them gently. "You have the queen's gauntlet."

###

Song of the Winter Solstice (Gauntlet Series 1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें