Chapter 8 -Worthy

I am caught in the middle of cold war... where everyone has their hidden interests. I am a pawn in a chess game -one that can be used to further the purposes of another.

I can be used anytime... die at any moment.

Either I feed the council's curiosity or follow the king's order. He is the king afterall.

May rason siya kung bakit ako pinakasal kay Prinsipe Killan. May malalim na dahilan din ang pagtutol niya sa pagpapalabas ko sa tunay na kakayahan ng mga nasa kamay ko.

Now, what's Lady Montay's reason? What's the council's agenda?

"Come on, Princess Idrish. Show us you are worthy to be sent to the winter arena." Nanunudyong usal ni Montay. Hindi maganda ang timpla ko sa babaeng 'to. Huwag ko lang siyang matiyempuhang mag-isa sa kagubatan, kundi babaliin ko lahat ng buto niya sa katawan.

"Your Grace, please show us your skills." Dinig ko namang susol ng isa pa.

Killan's dark eyes meet mine. I can see in his tightened jaw, how tense he is with this situation. He may have realized how he has jeopardized his father's plans. The king stares at him intentionally, making him feel the cost of his actions.

I stand here and patiently think of the safest way how to burn the mold that is about to divulge what I really have -the queen's power. Sa oras na makuha ng konseho ang gusto nila, ang palabasin ang mga nasa kamay ko, sa tingin ko'y may mas matindi silang balak pagkatapos. They just don't jest for fun; it has something to do with their agenda.

"Idrish won't show you anything today council. Her, joining the arena is already showing bravery and must not be questioned." The king tries to cover the secret he's been trying to keep. But the council cannot be persuaded that easy.

They are the council afterall. They are brutal. Unjust. Treacherous. A bunch of heads, hungry for power.

Humakbang ako palapit kay Prinsipe Killan. Bahagya itong umatras. Napalunok ito nang ilang pulgada na lang ang layo namin isa't isa.

"What is going on?" Untag ko habang nakatitig sa misteryoso nitong mga mata.

He gazes at the council then, his eyes shift to his father before they lay on me. He clenches his jaw. "You can't go to the arena. I need to. I need to win for the house."

"Is that your only reason?" I ask. I know that behind those reasons, there is something more important. Something more complex. Killan won't disobey the king without a valid reason.

"Yes." Matipid nitong sagot saka bumaling sa hari na seryosong nakatingin sa akin.

"Is this your decision or Princess Lanuza's?"

"The princess has nothing to do with this. Kaya huwag na huwag mo siyang dinadamay."

"This is my life! I have a say to whatever must be done."

"You're just my wife," mahina ngunit mariin niyang usal. Pinanliitan ako nito ng mga mata.

Nag-init ang dulo ng tainga ko sa sinabi nito. Kaya naman sumagot ako, "Yes. I am your wife. I am the princess of this kingdom. At hangga't hindi ka nakakahanap ng paraan para dispatsahin ako, ako ang magiging reyna ng kahariang pamumunuan mo. I have a share to every decision you make, YOUR GRACE."

"Princess Idrish, your words a-"

Inawat ng Haring Argus si Lady Montay. Malakas ang boses nitong sumang-ayon. "Princess Idrish is right. Since she is your wedded princess, the future queen of the throne, she has a say to whatever decision you make. Now I see one right decision I made. I chose the rightful future queen."