18 | HAM AND CHEESE

“Oh, no, sweetheart. I know that face, it’s your ‘I’m about to bat my eyelashes at Khalia to convince her to do something she shouldn’t’ look. And based on this morning’s festivities downstairs, you want me to stop the wolf hunt. My answer is: no.” The Mikaelson girl stated sternly the second Hayley entered her room.

“Please, Khalia.” The werewolf begged.

“No, I’m not betraying Klaus like that. I told you this before.” The stern look in Khalia’s eyes told Hayley that she wasn’t going to get her way. The Marshall girl huffed. Then she smiled as an idea popped into her head. The werewolf spun around, but before she exited the room, the brunette vampire stopped her.

“Don’t do anything stupid, Hayley. You know Klaus’ temper is worse than mine.” The Original warned, eyeing the pregnant girl. “On occasion." She added after a second.

The werewolf turned in the doorway, turning back with a gentle smile, “I won’t.”

It wasn’t long after that when Klaus called for his oldest sister presence in the courtyard. Her face soured when she saw Marcel sitting across her Hybrid brother. Marcel gave her a smile but it dropped when her turned down lips straightened into a firm line and her face turned to a glare. She tends to hold a grudge. Sue me, she thought bitterly, I’m a Mikaelson.

“So, why have we gathered here?” She asked with raised eyebrows, sitting down at the table.

“The humans have called a meeting. They're not exactly thrilled with the new status quo.” Marcel informed the two. The brunette vampire rolled her eyes as she propped her feet up on the table.

“How fascinating. Oh, look, I’m shaking in my boots.” Khalia remarked sarcastically, moving her legs up and down and giving the young vampire a fake smile. Klaus snorted an amused chuckle.

“How unfortunate for them.” The Hybrid commented, clearly agreeing with his sisters’ words.

“Look, it's your show now. But, you wanna know how I built what I built? Politics. A little diplomacy goes a long way, especially with the human faction.” The dark skinned vampire told the sibling duo, mostly Klaus though.

“Duly noted.” Klaus told him, looking at a newspaper piece that Khalia couldn’t see and didn’t care enough to look up and see what it was. “I haven't thought about this night in ages. 1919, the opera house, just before it burned. This was the end of an era. Now, in the interest of new beginnings, I feel that there are some things I should probably confess to you. But...” Khalia rolled her eyes as she realized what the photo was. He grabs a glass of alcohol and the female quickly sped to get a bottle of vodka and back to the table, her feet resting in the table once again.

“Where to begin?” Klaus asked and his sister smirked as she took a large drink of her bottle, knowing that this was going to be an interesting conversation. Klaus takes a large drink of bourbon before he begins his confession. “Thierry was never disloyal to you. I set him up in an attempt to locate my brother. He's your friend, and consequently, he can return to the compound at your discretion. Cami's part, you just learned. And then, there's young Joshua. I've been compelling him from the beginning, although I suspect you already knew that, as he was the one who led me into your trap.”

Marcel shrugs guiltily. “I may have fed the kid some misinformation.”

Khalia’s eyes narrowed and she gave her Hybrid brother a pointed look. “I told you something was off, but no, you didn’t want to listen. Kept going on and on about how Josh couldn’t possibly lie to you.” She tilted her head thoughtfully. “I will have to talk to him about that sometime.” Marcel felt fear bloom in his chest for his youngest vampire.