20 | PIECE OF HER BROKEN HEART

There was sunlight streaming through her bedroom window when Khalia finally woke up. Her eyes fluttered open and she noticed a body snuggled into hers. A goofy grin lit her lips as she remembered who it is. She took a deep breath and revelled in the scent of apples and rain that is so uniquely Hayley and the feel of her body pressed against hers. Finally, the Original came back down to earth and got up. And if there was an extra jump in her step as she walked to the kitchen, she would never admit it.

"Hello Khalia." A voice greeted from behind her and she froze slightly, abandoning her task for the moment, before turning to the source of the voice. Her eyes narrowed as she held his gaze, waiting for him to say something else or to leave. She knew that the only way Elijah would be standing here is if Klaus allowed it and forgave him. The female Original also knew that Klaus most likely felt guilty over daggering him and that's why he forgave Elijah so quickly. But just because he forgave Elijah, doesn't mean she has to.

"I wanted to apologize to you." He finally said. She crossed her arms over her chest and raised a perfect eyebrow. "For using Kol as a manner to try and gain your loyalty. It was uncalled for and I really hope you can forgive me." Khalia felt something in her heart shift. And she suddenly felt like hugging her brother and telling him it's okay. It then hit the brunette female that she forgave her brother already, despite her thoughts a few seconds ago. She frowned at how quickly she forgave her brother and something in the back of her mind told her that it has something to do with a certain pregnant werewolf currently sleeping in her bed.

Her frowned deepened at the thought and she went back to making the ham and cheese sandwiches she was busy with. Eventually, she spun around, the knife she used to cut the cheese pointing at Elijah. "I don't get you, Elijah. For a thousand years, you've defended Klaus. You've, you've stood by his side. You helped him daggered Kol. You've helped him daggered me. And then Hayley shows up and suddenly you're ready to accept the worst of our brother."

"Khalia, you as well as I know what Niklaus is capable of. What I cannot understand is, why the thought hasn't crossed your mind at least once?" He retorted calmly, taking a step towards his sister.

"Because I finally get it." She admitted, her voice suddenly uncharacteristically soft. She turned around, placing the knife on the counter. Her chest closed up and she had to take deep breaths. Elijah waited, feeling the emotional pain and grief rolling of her in waves, his own heart clenching painfully in his chest, giving her time. "Pain changes you. Be it emotional or physical. And I don't think any of us realised how much Niklaus hurt from what mother and father did to him. He was so good at hiding it that we didn't realise it until he was so changed from the pain that he held in his heart, that it was too late."

Elijah couldn't speak, the words from his extensive vocabulary failing him. Khalia turned back around, quickly finishing the sandwiches and going back up to her room. She left them on the bedside table before speeding out of the compound to find herself some breakfast.

***

Later that day, Khalia was lounging around the Compound, nursing a bottle of vodka. Today was the celebration of the Casket Girls. In other words: an excuse for Khalia to get drunk. Not that the brunette female Mikaelson actually needs one, but she has been drinking less and less as Hayley's stomach expanded - unconsciously trying to do and be better for the baby and the mother of the baby.

"Khalia!" The panicked voice of Hayley called out and the female Mikaelson shot up from the couch, bottle of vodka forgotten as she sped of to the where the cry came from. She heard the familiar heartbeats in Hayley's room and entered without knocking. She froze at the sight. Hayley was standing in front of a mirror, trying to fasten the zipper on the vintage wedding dress she's found. A sigh of relief escape slipped past the vampire's lips when she saw that the werewolf is unharmed.