38 | ONE STOLEN MOMENT

Hayley asked Khalia if they could walk around the city for a while before going back, she just needed a few moments to breathe. The vampire agreed and they walked around the streets, the silence between them drowned out by the buzzing noise of the city. Jazz music, people laughing, people arguing and children playing.

“Can I ask you a question?” Hayley asked, fingers fiddling with the hem of her shirt. Khalia hummed in approval. “Marcel said he gave me to Kieran after finding me in my crib. Why would he do that? I know that he has a soft spot for kids, but I don’t get it.”

Khalia breathed in deeply, exhaled slowly. “You’re aware that Nik raised Marcellus, yes?”

“Yeah, Klaus mentioned it. Rebekah as well.” Hayley nodded, she knew that Klaus thought of Marcel for more than a century. And, if she was being honest, he probably still thinks that. He is just hurt and disappointed in the fact that Rebekah and Marcel conspired behind his back and brought Mikael to New Orleans. But, in time, like he will forgive Rebekah, he will forgive Marcel as well.

“Well, what I’m sure all of them neglected to tell you, is that Nik didn’t just raise him. He saved him from slavery. You see, Hayley, Marcel was born from a slave mother to her Governor master, but he was never recognized as such. Nik met him, coincidentally, at the funeral of a lover of Rebekah that Nik killed, who also happened to be Marcellus’ half-brother. In terms of looks, Rebekah certainly traded up when she got together with Marcel, but that’s not really any of my business.

“Anyway, what really spark my brother’s interest was the fact that although small and having no power whatsoever, Marcel fought back against the people who he belonged to then. Klaus took him in, Elijah set the slaves free, Rebekah helped them with new lives while Kol and I feasted on the slave masters that were left behind.”  Khalia concluded her story with a cheery grin.

“Wow.” Hayley breathed with wide eyes, hands resting on her belly.

“Yes, us Mikaelson’s never do anything by half.” Khalia’s voice was considerably softer, a gentle smile pulling on her lips as she looked at the werewolf by her side. Catching herself, the vampire cleared her throat and adverted her eyes. “So, yes, due to his childhood, Marcel has an extreme soft spot and protective side when it comes to children. He would never hurt one.”

“He makes a lot more sense now.” Hayley commented.

Khalia hummed again. “Shall we head back to the Bayou now?”

More than a little reluctant – she didn’t want her time with Khalia coming to an end yet – but knowing that it is necessary, the werewolf nodded. “Yeah, sure.”

Khalia turned back in the direction of Marcel’s loft. She knew that the only way Hayley would have gotten to Marcel’s place as quick as she did, is if she drove. So, Hayley would have probably parked in the parking lot in the building. Before she could get further than two steps, her wrist was grabbed by the werewolf behind her.

Khalia ripped her hand away from Hayley, both out of instinct from being caught off guard and for the sake of her fragile heart. It was a little contradictory – she allows Hayley’s touch when enraged, but otherwise she didn’t want it anywhere near her.

Or maybe, she wanted the touch so much that she wants to deny herself the sensation before she couldn’t let go. Khalia knows what that touch of soft, warm and smooth skin against hers can do. She has held the werewolf’s hand before, has held her and touched her before. She knows it can set her soul ablaze, the fire burning through all of her carefully constructed walls around her broken heart to keep herself safe.