Sisters from Different Mothers

Indy POV 

Age 21

Indiana, Indianapolis

10am

I wake up as my alarm clock goes off as I open my eyes feeling irritation already. I get out of bed looking at the big mirror on my dresser as I run my fingers through my hair. My mother has already left for work as I go to the bathroom to get ready. I take off articles of clothing that I had on last night as I started the shower up hopping in it. The music blasting as I escape reality. I was definitely tired after spending the whole day with Na'shawn. We spent the morning... mmm admirable pleasure. We then went to the movies... then out to eat. Then... he just... things escalated.

I knew he was crazy... but I've never seen him act out like that before.

He was obviously a red flag... noo a literal caution sign. Yet I couldn't help but want to see him even more afterwards. The excitement, the adrenaline rush, it was the adventure for me.

My phone buzzes as it snaps me out of my trance as I remember where I was. The music stopping and all. I glance at it to see who texted me... Cali. My little sister. She was my father's other child.

Dad left me and my mother to be with Nina and her child. Their child.

I'm very self aware of the resentment I have for my half-sister. I was only 5 years old when my dad left me and moved states. I was 9 years old when my mother convinced me he was dead. I think she just said it so I can move on, but really that just hurt me even more.

Can you imagine? How I felt when I found out... my dad was alive. I had reached out to Cali after coming across her on Facebook. I told her I'm sorry for the loss of our father even though I never knew him. She was just as surprised as I was when she told me that he never died.

Shayla's a fucking liar.

I'll text Cali later, the music starts to play again as I go right back to day dreaming.

I enjoy the feeling of the hot water rushing down my body. I cleanse myself as I start to remember yesterday morning with Na'shawn. Hot and steamy. Explosive. I feel the evidence that he left on my body, the bruises. I rub on the hickeys with my cloth. This will probably be a long shower.

Cali POV

Age 18

California, Fontana

7am

I hear the door unlock as I look up from the couch watching my mom enter the house. "Hey mommy." I say as she smiles putting her stuff on the table as she comes to sit down next to me. "Why aren't you at school?" She questions me as she focuses on my face. "I don't feel too good." I tell her as she looks at me confused. "Hm. You know I used that excuse when I was young right?" She tells me as I grin a bit forgetting she's hip to it all.

"But since your grades are good and you're at the top of your class. One day won't hurt." She tells me patting me on my leg. "I guess. I'm just nervous." I tell her the truth as she hms as I capture her full undivided attention now. "Why are you nervous my little cotton ball." She says gaining a quick laugh from me as I sit up. She hasn't called me that since I was a toddler.

"Well... graduation is coming soon... and prom... this boy Marlo asked me to go out with him Friday. And he wants to take me to prom did I say that?" I say as I was getting hot and anxious. I know how my mom gets about boys. She licks her lips as her brows narrow in slight frustration as she shakes her head. "No." She says standing up. "But Mom?" I say but she shakes her head no before heading into her room. I sigh to myself as I roll my eyes before turning the tv off.