The baby

I sat up in bed and groaned. The sound of my daughter Sage crying had woken me up once again. I turned to Zack. "Baby" I whispered. He turned to me.

"I'll go" he said as he slumped out of bed. I haven't had a full nights sleep since we came home from the hospital a week ago. Don't get me wrong, Sage was everything to me and I couldn't believe she was my very own. But man is she loud.

Zack walked over to Sages crib and looked at her. He scooped her up in his arms and hummed quietly to her, cradling her back and forth. I smiled to myself as I laid back down.

Zack was scheduled to go back to work that day and it made me sad knowing I would be all on my own with Sage for the first time. Zack had been my rock since we came home and it seemed like it would be a nightmare without him. A part of me wished I was going to work with him, although bringing Sage along might not be the best idea but she doesn't have to go near any dead bodies. I decided I would talk with him about it at breakfast.

An hour later we both got out of bed and sat in the kitchen, me feeding Sage and Zack lazily making himself a bowl of cereal. I myself hadn't had a full meal in days and Zack was determined to change that. He poured another bowl of cereal and brought it to my face. "Eat" he said. I could tell he was concerned for me and it made my heart warm. I ate along with him, Sage finishing up and falling asleep in my arms. Zack stood up and walked to the bedroom.

"I'll miss you today" I said, just loud enough for him to hear me but not to wake Sage. He walked out, dressed and hair brushed. He walked to me and leaned down, kissing me softly.

"I'll miss you too love." He whispered. He looked down at Sage, asleep in my arms. "And I love you too angel" he leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. He looked back to me and smiled. "She has your face you know?" I laughed in response.

"Call me at lunch" I said as he walked to the door. He nodded and left, locking the door behind him. Today was going to be a rough day.

*lunchtime*

The phone rang, waking me up from my 5 minute nap on the couch. Sage slept in her crib, but from the sound of it, the phone had woken her up. I answered it and heard Zacks voice.

"How is everything?" He asked.

"Well, she just woke up and now I have to feed her again. I miss you like crazy" I groaned, standing up and walking to our room. I put him on speakerphone. "Wanna talk to daddy?" I asked Sage, who was now crying hysterically. I picked her up and we sat on the bed.

"Sage? Sweetheart?" Zack said. I held the phone up for her to hear. "Baby are you there?"

She stopped crying and stared intently at the phone. "Keep talking" I said to him.

"I miss you so much baby. I wish you were here with me" Sage smiled widely, causing my smile to increase. She giggled and reached for the phone. "I'll be home tonight and when I see you I will give you tons of kisses" he said.

"Was that last part for me or her?" I asked, jokingly. He laughed softly.

"Both"

We spoke a few more minutes. Sage continued to stare wildly at the phone and when it came time to say goodbye, I could tell they were both equally sad. I hung up the phone after our 'I love you's and the moment it clicked off, Sage began to cry again. I hummed to her softly and she dozed off, falling asleep on my chest. I smiled and turned soft music on.

After another hour, Sage woke up again, this time with intent. She was determined to see her dad. Nothing I could do would keep her happy. Food, burping, diaper change, and even play time failed. The only thing that would keep her quiet for a minute was looking at a picture of Zack on my phone.

I'm going to have to go visit him won't I.

A/n PLEASE DONT KILL ME IM BACK I PROMISE