Prologue: Neighbours and Forks

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I unloaded the last suitcase from the car, trailing behind my bustling parents. "Where the hell is the dishwasher I ordered!"

I could see my moms usually stoic expression transform into one of utter annoyance. She had been tense ever since my father lost his job and we were forced to move to Busan from Australia.

It was definitely a bit of a cultural shock, but being half Korean I learned to get over it pretty quickly. It wasn't my father's fault his company went bankrupt, but mom seemed to think he was to blame.

Making my way up the hardwood stairs, I peered into the first open door. It was fairly big, had a massive window overlooking the street and the walls were painted a mellow gray. This was definitely the room for me.

Placing my abnormally large suitcase on top of the navy sheets, I let its contents spill out. Let's just say unpacking may take longer than I had originally thought.

The sun had begun to cast an orange glow on the horizon by the time I was done. I wiped the thin film of sweat of my forehead before heading downstairs to hopefully find myself some food.

But when I walked into the kitchen and spotted my moms usual "people pleasing" smile I knew someone had come for a visit.

"You've finally finished unpacking!" she ushered me into the dining room where I was greeted by an unfamiliar family.

"Your daughters just as beautiful as you said Chungha," the unknown woman spoke.

"Jihye, meet Min Hye Kyo and her husband Gong Yoo, as well as their son Yoongi. There our new neighbours."

I bowed, "It's a pleasure to meet you all."

I took a seat across from my Dad stealing a quick glance at the boy seated on the other side of the table.

I would be lying if I said that the pale boy wasn't attractive. His vivid mint hair was practically screaming for attention.

I realized about half an hour later, there was something off about him though. Yes, he acted like the perfect son, good grades, responsible and independent. But I swear, I could see some form of malice in his eyes and the way his lips would turn down when someone wasn't looking, showed how he really felt.

It made me curious why was he trying so hard, when he gains nothing from my family liking him?

In fact, why was his family even talking to mine?

They reeked of wealth, basically covered from head to toe in designer brands. A great contrast to my family's middle-class status.

My Dad was your typical office worker, well my mom was an average interior designer.

One thing I had learned from people is that they don't do anything without wanting to gain something.

Whether that be satisfaction, friendship or money and something told me there was more to this perfect family than meets the eye.

"So Jihye what do you plan on doing after high school?"

My train of thought was interrupted by Gong Yoo's sudden question.

"I plan on moving to America to study medical science," I responded politely.

"Wah, that's amazing hopefully you enjoy your last year here. Maybe Yoongi and you will have some classes together."

"Yeah, that'd be great." I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly, trying to ignore Yoongi's piercing stare.

I was grateful when my Dad steered the conversation elsewhere.

"So Bogum I heard you lost your job. That's quite unfortunate." Hye Kyo muttered. Fiddling with the fork in between her fingers.

"Useless trash like you isn't welcome in this neighbourhood."

My eyes went wide as she abruptly stood up, making her way towards my father. A wicked smile decorating her pretty features.

In a flash, the fork she had been tinkering with was logged in my father's throat. A scream escaped my lips as trails of blood begun to stream down his neck.

"Jihye what's wrong?" Mom asked, looking at me annoyed. I looked between her and my father. His neck was perfectly intact, no sign of a puncture wound or any pain and Hye Kyo was still seated where she had been all evening.

I could feel bile rise in my throat as I quickly excused myself from the table. I took one last quick glance at the table's occupants before scurrying up the stairs.

I felt a chill run down my spine as I flopped onto the bed. Yoongi's smirk was ever so obvious, at my indescribable panic.

Something was wrong here. Something was terribly wrong.