Chapter 32: Metal Doors and Codes

I sat in the back of one of the many vans, my phone clutched tightly in my hand. I had just sent out a list of lengthy messages to everyone I cared about.

Mom, Dad, Jisoo and even Chaeyoung who I haven't seen in ages. Yes, it might come off as kind of suspicious that I sent them a paragraph's worth of text talking about how much I love and appreciate them, but if something did go wrong today, I want them to know just how truly thankful I am.

Hyewon, one of the more docile members of IZ*ONE, offered to stay back and monitor Mark. According to Hoseok, the male had attempted to escape by cutting the ropes using a chicken bone. I don't know why someone thought it would be a good idea to feed him spicy chicken wings, but ultimately he failed. We still had to be cautious though, because he hasn't revealed his ability.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when a hand was placed on my shoulder. "You look like your heading to your death," Hoseok joked, getting comfortable in the seat beside me.

"Nice timing," I grumbled.

His grin flattered at that. "Sorry, that was a bit insensitive of me."

I shot him a soft smile. "It's alright, I'm just a bit tense. I was so sure that I was ready to do this, but now that it's really happening, I don't know anymore."

He pursed his lips. "It's always harder when it's actually happening. I remember back when we had first formed Bangtan, we had to go on more hardcore missions then the one you came on. I always felt nervous before every single one, but what truly helped me was remembering why we were doing this and no matter what my brothers had my back.

And I know the circumstances are much direr, but I want you to know that we're here for you. I know we haven't known you for that long but you truly are one of us and that means that we'll have your back no matter what."

"Thank you so much Hoseok, I know Namjoon technically threatened me into this but I want you to know that I have all your backs as well."

I enveloped the boy in a tight embrace, a feeling of pleasant gratefulness washing over me.

I wasn't alone in this and I was fighting for the people I care about. That was all the reason to keep moving forward.

I separated from Hoseok surprised to see the panelled door of the van swing open, revealing Yoongi.

"You two know we arrived here like 5 minutes ago right? We have to walk on foot so we aren't detected."

I sheepishly rubbed the back of my head at my lack of awareness and gave Hoseok's hand a quick squeeze before clambering out of the vehicle.

We were surrounded by a thick canopy of trees, the lack of light providing an eerie feel to the already dark forest.

I saw a small mountain in the distance and I was surprised to see that Namjoon's Train set diagram was actually accurate.

The council were a bunch of mountain hobos.

"Jihye put this on."

Namjoon handed me a black sweater and I inspected it carefully. "This materials kind of hard?"

"It's a built-in bulletproof vest," he explained. "It helps with the impact of physical ability attacks."

"Hopefully you won't have to use it," Jungkook added, sliding his own on overtop of his shirt.

I nodded in agreement, putting on the solid sweater. It was a little uncomfortable at first but it still allowed me enough mobility and I would be lying if I said I wasn't grateful for the extra protection.

"Everyones almost in position, we should probably hurry," Namjoon urged, herding us along like cattle.

I kept my hands tucked away in my pocket, shivering from the chilly November air. A feeling of trepidation had washed over me and I tried my best to focus on Hoseok's meaningful words.

My feet felt worn by the time we finally reached the secluded mountain entrance and I was surprised to see that it was simply a huge metal door.

I was curious as to how no human who happens to walk by, doesn't question the existence of a giant silver door on the side of a mountain.

As if sensing my thoughts, Seokjin piped up. "They have cameras all around, if anyone they don't like sees the door, then they get killed, or at least that's what BamBam said."

That's very inhumane, though I suppose that applied to most of what the council did anyways.

"Can't the cameras see us then?"

"No Exo managed to broadcast a fake real-time view through the cameras so they don't even know we're here."

I nodded in understanding, glad that Exo was good with all this technical stuff.

"Exo in position."

"Red Velvet in position."

"I*ZONE in position."

I flinched at the sudden volume in my ears. I had almost forgotten I was wearing an earpiece, it was small enough so it wouldn't be seen unless someone looked very closely.

"Bangtan in position," Namjoon replied.

"In exactly 10 seconds the password should be 190623." Chanyeol asserted.

"Namjoon glanced down at his watch, before crouching down and clicking numbers at the keypad located at the base of the grand doors.

Chanyeol's code was correct and the doors opened with a dull thud revealing a dimly lit hallway.

Namjoon placed his finger over his lips, gesturing for us to be quiet. I hesitantly entered the secret hideout, following closely behind Taehyung.

"We're in," the silver-haired leader whispered into his earpiece.

"Same here," Joohyun and Suho responded.

"Good the first steps done now take a left when the hallway diverges," BamBam said.

The boy had stayed back with Hyewon to serve as our guide. He was after all the only one who had been inside their new base before.

Eventually, we came across the intersection and I was glad we had yet to run into any council members or minions.

We turned the corner and I became confused.

"Umm BamBam? This is a dead end."