Chapter 5: Arcades and Highscores

I was finally off house arrest and the first thing BamBam and Jisoo did was drag me to an arcade

I was exhausted from the late night studying for my science test, but I definitely needed a break from the house. So I suppose this could serve as the stress reliever I  desperately needed.

BamBam dragged me towards the Pacman machine, and I was struck with the abrupt feeling of melancholy. I remembered running to the arcade after elementary school and frequently competing to see who could get the highest score. All of my Australian friends had been pros at the game for reasons unknown to me. 

I, of course, was never the victor but I tried my hardest. I was a little overwhelmed by BamBam's apparent "Professional ghost murderer skills" as he so proudly called it.

It was finally my turn, and I died within a minute. BamBam let out an obnoxious laugh at my immediate defeat, and Jisoo yanked me away muttering about how he should try excelling in something other than Pacman.

We came to a halt in front of another chunky box, with bright yellow letters spelling "Street Fighter II" smeared across the top.

"This is the best game to ever exist!" Jisoo exclaimed, beaming up at the rectangle with adoration.

"I'm sure it is," I grinned, unable to hide my amusement at her excitement.

You go first she encouraged, patting the many used buttons affectionately. I shot her a weirded out look before grabbing hold of the ebony control stick.

As soon as the words start flashed across the screen, I decided that I had to use the ultimate strategy. Button mashing.

I was startled to see that I now held the top score and I don't even know how to actually play.

"Noooo!" I wheeled around to see a brunette boy darting over to where we stood.

"You couldn't have beaten my high score with zero skills!"

This boy seemed familiar, and it dawned upon me that he was part of Yoongi's group of friends. He kept on ranting about how I was an uncultured player, and that only the best of the best would be able to triumph against him.

I would be lying if I said I didn't find his prominent frustration amusing. Finally calming down he let out a sigh.

"At least let me teach you how to actually play so I feel better about losing."

I turned to Jisoo for help, but she only sent me a suggestive wink before making her way over to BamBam, who was still heatedly trying to win his game of Pacman.

I had no choice at this point unless I wanted things to become extremely awkward. "Sure."

The arcade games enthusiasts face lit up at my acceptance and his smile reminded me of a bunny. His two front teeth especially.

He slid two coins into the machine, requesting that I put my hands in what he called "proper formation."

The boy placed his hands over mine, guiding me into combos which I listened to for the most part. The other side of me was freaking out at the close proximity of the male.

I was glad he was so into explaining that he didn't realize the faint dusting of pink resting on my cheeks.

He released his grip on my hands and gave me a content grin. "I can now acknowledge the fact you beat me."

With that, I assumed that my mental struggle would come to an end but I thought wrong.

He dug his hands into the pockets of his track pants, and a pout adorned his lips.

"I used the last of my money on teaching you how to play and now I'm thirsty."

I sighed knowing exactly what he wanted. Feeling bad that the boy wasted his money on me I made my way over to the vending machine.

"What do you want?"

"Banana milk."

I furrowed my eyebrows at his odd request, I didn't even know banana milk existed. After clicking the buttons and inserting some won into the machine, I grabbed the dispensed drinks.

I passed him the milk, my own cherry soda cold in my hand.

"Thank you?" I assumed he was waiting for my name, so I told him. 

"Jihye."

"Wait your hyungs friend aren't you!"

"Yeah," I muttered, surprised that he actually remembered.

"Well, I'm Jungkook in case you forgot."

"Well, now I remember."

A sly smile replaced his earlier expression and I had a bad feeling I would not like what he had to say.

"You want to go out with me next Saturday?"

"I have plans," I muttered sheepishly, scratching the back of my neck. I didn't actually have plans, but I felt that it might be kinda uncomfortable to go on a date with him when this is the first time we met and had a decent conversation.

"You sure? It could just be a friendly thing, I really don't want to be alone on the 14th."

"Why?"

"It's the day my cat died." I instantly regretted asking the seemingly harmless question and felt guilty when I saw his eyes begin to mist over.

"Okay, maybe I can squeeze some time into hangout on Saturday."

Jungkook's gleeful expression had me feeling a little bit better about the whole ordeal.

"We'll have so much fun!"

"I'll hold you to that," I said, allowing a smile to make its way onto my face.

"I need your phone number." He made grabby hands towards the device sticking out of my pocket, and I begrudgingly passed it to him.

I despised parting with my phone, because like most teenagers these days, I was pretty dependant on it.

He passed me back my prized possession, and I gave him a questioning glance at his caller ID.

"Really, Jungkookie?"

"Yup, so you'll always know it's me!"

I cringed as he did some unnatural aegyo, doing a small dance on the spot.

"Jihye, it's time to go!"

I mentally thanked BamBam from saving my eyes. Bidding farewell to a pouting Jungkook, I travelled towards the duo.

As the three of us made our way out of the arcade, Jisoo eagerly waiting to hear what happened of course. I noticed something amiss.

The plug powering the combat game layed limply against the floor. It had missed the socket by a mere inch.

Yet the graphics lit the screen as clear as day.