Chapter 9

Lizzie's POV

All of a sudden I heard a series of loud beeps that were getting closer together.

I tried to open my eyes but I couldn’t, and I couldn’t move my fingers. I started to panic.

Didn’t the doctor say that my condition wasn’t life threatening?

Didn’t she say I would be okay with treatment?

The only thing I could hear was the beeping and the doctors shouting.

What was happening? Was I dying? What’s going on?!

I could hear Gibbs shouting at the doctors, and it sounded like he was outside the door.

‘Lizzie! Lizzie! Wake up, please?!’ I could hear Timmy as well, and then something was being placed in my mouth.

It tasted plasticy, but I couldn’t move it around, and it was uncomfortable.

The beeping slowed, and that was when I realised it was a heart machine.

Wait, that was my heartbeat? Maybe I was dying for a moment.

The doctors were talking to Gibbs and the team outside the door.

‘Her condition is still stable, but the palpitations have made her heart beat to an uncontrollable speed. We have had to place her in a medically induced coma, but once she strengthens, we can ease her out of it,’ they were saying.

‘Can we go in?’ I could barely hear it, but it was definitely Tony.

Wow, were they all that worried about me?

Of course they were, I’m in a damn coma!
I’ve heard about people who can hear when they’re in comas, so that’s good I guess.

‘Yes, you can go in. And some coma patients can still hear, so talk to her, don’t act as if she can’t hear you,’ they told them.

Thank you!

The door opening and closed, and several different footsteps walked in.

‘Oh my god, Lizzie…’ That was Abby.

‘זה כל כך לא הוגן עבור ילדה בגיל שלך. רק ניתנה לכם הזדמנות זו וזה נחטף ממך. אני כל כך מצטער.’

I recognised the words as Hebrew. I taught myself when I was 14 years old.

It was Ziva.

“This is so unfair for a girl your age. You've just been given this opportunity and it's been snatched away from you. I'm so sorry.”

They were all so sweet. I wanted to cry. I wanted to do something that would tell them that I could hear them.

One of the chairs I’d remembered from next to my bed (that was really uncomfortable by the way) squeaked as someone sat down.

The same noise then came from the other side, but the chair groaned more than squeaked, indicating it was somebody heavier.

A hand then grabbed each of mine, one on each side.

The one on my right was a softer, slightly smaller hand, with a gentle grip.

But the one on my left was more calloused, and gripped harder, I’m guessing it was Gibbs, and the one on my right was Tim.

‘Lizzie, please wake up, I just found you. I can’t lose you again. I was heartbroken when I went back to America, all those years ago. If you can hear me, please squeeze my hand, or sigh, or do something, so I know you can hear me…’ I heard him say.

I wanted to cry again. I was trying to do something, but I couldn’t even swallow.

I tried to squeeze my hand, with Gibbs as well.

I’d only met him yesterday, but it already seemed like I’d known him for years. He was almost like a father to me.

I wanted to wake up, for him, for Tim, and Tony and Ziva and Abby and Ducky.

I wanted to stay with these people who were my new family, I wanted to see Mum and Kadyn again.

They were so upset when I had to leave, I couldn’t not see them again.

‘Lizzie. Me and McGee are going to stay here overnight. We’re not going to leave your side. DiNozzo. You’re in charge. Ziva. Do what he tells you to do and don’t kill him. Ducky. Abby. Do what you do best.’

‘Jethro.’ Uh oh, that’s the Director.

‘Jenny.’ He acknowledged her.

‘Jethro, you cannot stay here. Elizabeth’s in good hands.’

‘Lizzie.’

‘What?’ the Director asked.

‘Her name is Lizzie, it’s what she wants,’ Gibbs told her.

Like I said, he was already like a father to me, standing up for me and staying by my side.

‘Fine. DiNozzo, you’re in charge…’ She said.

I could almost feel the retaliation radiating off of him.

I could sense the eye rolling.

‘Tony, Ziva, Ducky, Abby, Palmer, back to NCIS. Gibbs and McGee, keep me posted.’ I heard the Director say and her heels clicking against the polished floor of the hospital.

I felt everyone shifting in the room, and Gibbs and McGee let go of my hands.

‘Bye, Lizzie, I’ll be back tomorrow,’ I heard Abby say, giving me a light hug.

‘להתראות מתוק, תשתפר בקרוב, אני אראה אותך מאוחר יותר.’

Ziva said, kissing me on each cheek.

‘Goodbye sweetheart, get better soon, I’ll see you later.’

They were making me want to cry again…

‘Goodbye my dear. Do recover soon, I will miss you not sitting on my autopsy tables having a nice chat,’ Ducky told me, making me smile (internally).

‘Zabby,’ that nickname made me flinch. ‘Get better soon, McGee is very annoying when he’s sad,’ Tony said, and I heard a slap.

Oh yeah. Headslap.

‘We’ll see you soon Lizzie,’ Palmer said.

They all shuffled out of the room and Gibbs and Tim resumed their positions by my bedside.

A/N: Hey guys, if you could, please comment and feedback and vote and follow! I know this is on every story, but it keeps me writing and kinda makes me feel good as well :D