Chapter 34

TWO WEEKS LATER

Gibbs POV

‘Jethro, you need to tell her! Do you not think she will want to know what has happened to her mother and sister? She needs to know!’ Ducky was trying to persuade me to tell Lizzie about Shannon and Kelly, but I couldn’t do it. Not yet. Their bodies were in the freezer; I couldn’t bear to tell my daughter, or bury my girls again.

‘Duck, she is happy for once. Everyone is helping to take her mind off things, and McGee’s even taking her on a date! I don’t want to ruin that,’ and I was trying to persuade him to wait.

‘Jethro Gibbs. If you don’t tell your daughter about her family, I will,’ and he left the basement.

Lizzie POV

There was still no word from Mum and Kadyn, or Kelly. I was guessing it was because maybe they were burnt, or in a hospital and simply hadn’t been identified yet? At least, that was what I was hoping.

Currently I was sitting in the bullpen, staring at my computer screen, still trying to find some other lead on Kevin Ryan, just like everyone else. His murder still hadn’t been solved. I was fine now; my voice was back and all my cuts had healed, just white scars in their place.

But I was tired, my head hanging lower… and lower… and … lower…

‘Hey?’ a hand shook my shoulder, and my hand instinctively went to my drawer to grab my gun, which I then pointed at the person who woke me up in a matter of seconds.

‘I w- I just wanted to know if you wanted anything from the break room!’ Tony cried out, holding his hands in front of his face.

‘I’ll have a chocolate bar then if you’re offering,’ I smiled.

‘And if it isn’t a peanut butter chocolate bar, I will shoot you next time,’ I called after him, as he passed Abby bouncing towards my desk.

‘Hey Abbs, what’s up?’ I asked her, clearing my desk of paper. She began to ‘aw’.

‘I’m sorry!’ she giggled. ‘I still love your accent!’ she said to my unimpressed face. For some reason, I hadn’t adapted to the American accent. Ducky doesn’t think I ever will, considering the point at which I lost my voice.

‘Abby, calm down. What did you come up here for?’ I tried to push aside my difference in cadence.

‘Me and Ziva are going to lunch tomorrow, and then shopping so she can buy clothes for her date!’ she said excitedly. ‘We wanted you to come too!’

‘Sure Abby, I’d love to,’ getting up and giving her a hug. ‘I have to go now, pick something up. Tim, can I have a lift?’ I turned to the desk next to me.

He looked at Gibbs for confirmation that he could leave, who only gave us a face that said ‘I’m-staying-out-of-it-I don’t-care-what-you-do’.

‘Cool, let’s go,’ I said, grabbing Tim’s arm and near skipping out of the office and into the lift.

Once we were down in the car park, Tim seemed to think it was a good idea to find out where he was taking me.

‘Well, first I need to go to the bank. And then I can direct you,’ I just smiled, keeping it as much of a secret for as long as possible.

I only took a while in the bank, just finalising the small loan I’d taken out, and then taking out the money I’d need this afternoon.