Chapter 32

Gibbs POV

I needed to calm her down. Her mother and sister weren’t gone, I hadn’t lost my girls again. I wasn’t just reassuring her, I was reassuring myself. But I still needed more.

‘Duck? You there?’ I called out into the waiting room.

‘I’m here Jethro, did you need something? Is Elizabeth alright?’ even in his older age, he seemed to speed across the waiting room for his seemingly ‘adopted’ granddaughter from home.

‘I think she’s going to be okay, but I have a way you can help,’ I told him.

‘Well, anything I can do to help, I guess. We need to make sure our probationary agent is doing okay, and she gets back to doing what she loves,’ he seemed very thoughtful about what it could be.

‘Do you have any ME contacts in England?’ I asked him, serious.

‘A few, I suppose. Why?’ he wouldn’t give up.

‘I need you to get those two bodies from the fire at Lizzie’s home, and run as many tests as you and Abby can manage. Lizzie needs to know, hell, I need to know,’ I told him.

‘I think I can manage that,’ he smirked, well as smugly as an English gentleman could.

McGee POV

‘Tim, Tim please tell me it’s not them,’ she whispered once Gibbs left. ‘Tell me my dad was telling the truth.’

But I couldn’t tell her. I couldn’t promise her anything. Because in the back of my mind I knew, that that teenage girl and sweet mother I met nine years ago, were dead. Because nothing ever seems to go our way in the life we lead.

But I needed to protect her. For such a young girl, she’d been through too much. Now, I didn’t see the sparkle in her eye, the playful banter running through her head. I saw a girl, with the eyes of an old woman, who had seen too much, lost too much.

She’d met her dad, then lost the one she once knew and thought she’d lost years ago. She’d been shot, and then finds out that her mother and sister could well be gone too.

‘Lizzie, I can’t promise you anything. But your… dad can. His gut is famous,’ I laughed softly. ‘If he is telling you anything, he’s serious, and he’s not lying. And he will do anything to prove it to you,’ I told her.

‘You’re his daughter, and he knows it,’ I told her, and she looked shocked as the words slipped from my mouth.

Lizzie looked up at me with a blank face holding no expression.

‘He knows?’ she said quietly. ‘I’ve been acting like nothings different when all this time… He knows?’ she looked as though she didn’t know what to think, like her whole world was built on lies and evil.

Then Gibbs walked in.

‘You know?’ she asked, serious.

Gibbs took a deep breath and looked the saddest he ever been in a long time.

‘Yeah, sweetie I know. I’m so sorry,’ he came up and gave her a hug, the most affectionate I’d seen him in a while too.

‘Hey, saying sorry is a sign of weakness,’ she joked.

‘Well then, I’m a weak marine I guess,’ he smiled down at her.

‘No such thing,’ she said back as she hugged him tighter, glad to have her dad.

A/N: hey so this is a bit shorter, but i wanted the storyline to move on a bit :)