Chapter 21

Lizzie POV

‘Lizzie! Slow down!’

‘What was that? Sorry I can’t hear you!’ I laughed.

Tim seemed to be crushing my ribs, which was really not a good thing when you are in control of what is effectively a killing machine.

Suddenly, all I could see in the small mirror was flashing red and blue lights, and sirens overwhelmed the rushing wind.

‘Aw crap. They have to spoil my fun,’ I said grumpily.

A uniformed officer made his way over to us once I’d pulled over.

‘Would you mind telling me why you were driving at such speeds, Ma’am,’ he asked.

‘Of course, Officer Langley, I work at NCIS and we are on our way to go to Mexico to talk to a Detective who had been in contact with our murder victim. I was driving fast, because we would have to face the same fate from our boss if we’re late,’ I told him, innocently, emphasising his surname as I read it off his name badge.

‘Yeah right, can I please see some ID?’ he asked, not buying it.

I pulled out my badge.

‘Is that proof enough for you?’ I asked sweetly.

I heard Tim snort with laughter behind me, unable to hold it in.

‘I suppose so Ma’am, just don’t let this become a regular thing,’ he told me, and strode back to his cruiser.

‘Cocky loser,’ I mumbled as I got back on my bike.

‘Lizzie! You do realise we wouldn’t go to most of our crime scenes if those guys didn’t call us,’ Tim told me.

‘I guess Officer Langley won’t be calling us any time soon,’ I replied, starting the engine.

As I took off, I didn’t notice the SUV behind me.

Gibbs POV

Where the hell where they?! Ziva told me that McGee went to pick her up, but they took Lizzie’s bike instead. If she rode as fast as I’d been told, they would have been here half an hour ago!

Lizzie POV

As I rounded a blind bend, I saw an old ’68 Ford Mustang going the other way. It was one of my favourite cars, so I looked into the mirror to have another look after it had gone past.

Instead all I saw was the front grill of a black Cadillac Escalade.

It rammed the back of my bike, making the back swing out. As if perfectly timed, another Escalade came the other way and hit the other side.

We swung round, Tim holding me tight around my stomach, and me holding onto the handlebars for dear life, we skid along the asphalt and smacked into a tall pine tree on the other side of the road.

Dizzy, I tried to push myself around to check on Tim, only to be pulled up by strong arms, gagged, and my hands tied.

As I was put into the back of one of the Escalades, complete with blacked out windows, I caught a glimpse of Tim being hauled into the other car, blood trickling down his face.

Before they closed the door, I remembered something I always kept hidden in the back pocket of my leathers, Gibbs business card.

I managed to throw it on the ground and hope that whoever found the crash site, found Gibbs.

Gibbs POV

Now I was starting to get worried.

McGee had enough sense, that if they were running late, he would tell Lizzie to pull over so he could call.

Ziva was trying both their cell phones, and I had DiNozzo and Abby canvasing recent news stories, to see if anything popped up.

My cell rang, and assuming it was Abby or Tony, I didn’t look at the caller ID. In the marines, I was told never to assume anything.

‘Agent Gibbs?’ A harsh country voice said, when I accepted the call.

‘Yeah? Who is this?’

‘My name is Officer Langley, I need you to come down to Oregon Avenue, next to Barnaby Woods.’

That was only about ten minutes away, but twenty minutes from Lizzie’s apartment in Bethesda, and wasn’t on her normal route home (I’d dropped her off a couple of times when she was on crutches).

‘Why?’

‘There’s a crash site. With your business card on the ground.’

‘Thanks. Wait for us.’

I hung up.

‘GEAR UP.’

Three heads looked up.

‘Abby, stay here. DiNozzo. David. We have a crash site near Hawthorne, possibly linked to one of our own.’