Chapter 41

McGee POV

The day after Boxing Day, we were all back at work. We were all safe, happy and content, and I wanted it to stay that way for as long as possible. Lizzie had been through way too much, and most of all, I wanted her to be happy.

At the moment, she was out at lunch with Ziva and Abby, discussing more wedding things. It was surprisingly quiet, and we had no major cases (just a bit of paperwork) so Gibbs let them go. Which is what I’d been hoping for.

‘McGee?’ I heard his voice as I was typing up the last couple of case reports.

‘Yeah, Boss?’

‘Lift. Now.’

I followed his brisk walk towards the elevator at on the other side of the bullpen. AKA Gibbs office. We stepped inside and Gibbs stopped it immediately after the doors closed.

‘Something’s been on your mind all day. What is it?’ he asked me straight out.

‘Well, uh,’ I started.

‘Spit it out, McGee!’

‘IwanttoaskyourpermissionformeandLizzietogetmarried!’ I mumbled.

‘Excuse me?’ that threw him off. I sighed.

‘I want to ask your permission for me and Lizzie to get married. I want her to be happy, and Abby seems to be hinting that it’s what she might want. Obviously it would be after Tony and Zi- ‘ I got interrupted.

‘Tim!’ he stopped my babbling.

‘Hm?’

‘The answers yes. Just do it after Tony and Ziva’s. I’m already going against Rule 12,’ he mumbled the last bit.

I grinned from ear to ear. I was finally going to put a ring on Lizzie’s finger.

Tony POV

Uh oh. McGeek’s in trouble. You only go into the elevator if you’re in trouble. Wonder what he’s done to Gibbs daughter to make him pissed.

Or maybe not.

As they came out of the elevator, McGee was smiling uncontrollably, and Gibbs was smirking to himself.

‘So, what’d the boss have to say?’ I walked up to McGee’s desk after I though Gibbs had gone to get coffee.

‘None of your business, DiNozzo,’ Gibbs said, giving me a slap on the back of the head.

‘Sorry, boss.’

Lizzie POV

I was out for lunch with Ziva and Abby, and still feeling a bit ill after Christmas Day, when Abby brought up the subject of me and Tim getting married again.

‘For the last time, Abby! I’m not the one getting married! Ziva is!’ I told her.

‘So you would say no if he asked?’ she pressed.

‘No! I mean, I would say yes, but that’s not the point! We’re here to talk about Ziva’s wedding, not my non-existent one!’ I said. ‘My head is still killing me, my stomach feels like a cement mixer, and I think I’m coming down with a cold, so Abby please, can we focus on Ziva?! It is her big day,’ I would’ve carried on but my phone rang.

‘Hello?’

‘Lizzie? It’s Dad. We’ve got a case. Get your asses over here,’ I could hear the smile in his voice.

‘Woah, okay, bossman. Whatever you say,’ I laughed, and ended the call. Even though we were now on father-daughter terms, I still liked to call him bossman.

‘Guys, we have a case. Dad wants us back,’ I told the girls.

When we’d got back to NCIS, we went straight to the bullpen.

‘What’s going on?’ Ziva asked.

‘Dead navy commander in Quantico, gear up,’ Dad said, as he brushed past us. Whenever we had a murder case, he always put on his ‘marine face’ as I liked to call it.

‘I’ll drive,’ Tony piped up, swiping the keys.

‘No you won’t,’ Ziva told him, plucking them from his fingers. Tony made a small sound of indignation.

‘Ah, ah, ah, Tony. If you want her to keep that ring on, you’ve gotta let her get her own way,’ I told him, winking at Ziva.

‘Even if the driving kills me?’ he protested. Me and Dad slapped the back of his head at the same time.

‘Even if it kills ya,’ we said in unison.

‘Like father like daughter,’ Tim muttered.

After only about ten minutes of reckless driving, in which I think we broke about five laws, I managed to get out of my squished position in between Tim and Tony. It was nice to get out into the cool air.

Not so nice to be greeted with the sight of a dead navy commander covered in his own blood.

‘We got an ID?’ Dad asked the officer already on scene.

‘Navy Commander Charles Fischer, three blows to the head and cuts in his neck, significant blood pooling underneath him. That’s all we’ve got so far,’ he told us.

‘Thank you, we’ll take it from here,’ Tony said, and the officer left.

We were outside a large warehouse, and the Commander was still in his uniform, but had his head bashed in, and was covered in blood.

‘Nice. Murder weapon?’ Tony said.

‘Can’t see anything,’ I called.

‘Nothing over here,’ Tim told him.

Ziva shook her head.

‘Lizzie, Ziva. Canvas the area for the murder weapon. McGee, photos. DiNozzo, call Ducky and find out where the hell he is, and then take measurements,’ Dad ordered.

‘On it, Boss,’ Tony replied.

Me and Ziva walked in opposite directions around the warehouse to cover more ground. As I got about a third of the way round, I noticed some stains on the side of a large bin. After examining them, I found it was blood.

‘Ziva! Over here!’ A moment later, she’d jogged around to where I was.

‘Have you seen a weapon anywhere near here?’ she asked me.

‘Not yet… Could you give me a hand?’ I asked, and climbed into the dumpster.

‘After rummaging around in what was mostly food rubbish, I found… something of interest.

‘Do you think this could pass as a murder weapon?’ I held it up.

A/N: another cliffhanger!! i'm so sorry, but i really love writing them :) comment what you think :) x

I also found out today that my tumblr is officially one year old! if you have tumblr, go follow hidden--skies maybe?? it's mostly supernatural stuff so if you watch it, take a look xx