Chapter 45

ONE WEEK LATER

McGee POV

Today was the day of the 18 week scan, and we decided we wanted to know the gender of our baby, so we could paint the spare room in our new apartment the right colour.

‘Mr and Mrs McGee?’ the nurse called, as I turned to look at Lizzie.

‘What? I’m going to be Mrs McGee,’ she shrugged, smiling.

‘Hello! Would you like to know the gender of the baby today?’ another nurse asked as Lizzie pulled herself onto the bed in the room.

‘Yes please!’ we said in unison. After a bit of time, the nurse had the jelly on Lizzie’s stomach and was looking at the ultrasound screen.

‘Both heartbeats are going strong!’ she gave a running commentary.

‘So I’m alive then,’ Lizzie joked.

‘I didn’t mean you, sweetie! You’re having twins!’ she grinned.

‘Twins!?’

'Yes, twins! A girl and a boy!'

TWO WEEKS LATER

‘So, I’ve been thinking, where do you want the wedding?’ I asked Lizzie, as we were sitting in the office one afternoon with no work to do.

‘Actually, I’ve been thinking about that too. When I was little, my mum and Toby took me to an island in South Carolina. It was beautiful, and I’ve always wanted to go back. The coast was gorgeous, and I was wondering maybe if we had the ceremony on the beach?’ I smiled.

‘I like it! But when do you want it? Not too soon because we won’t have time to plan, but not too late, because we’ll have two newborns!’ he asked.

‘How about June? It won’t be too hot, and we’ll have plenty of time,’ I asked, turning around slowly in my swivel chair.

‘Sounds good, you mind if I research this island? What’s it called?’ he asked, grinning.

‘Be my guest, it’s called Hilton Head Island.’

THREE MONTHS LATER

Lizzie POV

The wedding’s tomorrow. I’m getting married tomorrow.

‘Lizzie! We need to go down for the rehearsal dinner!’ Ziva shouted through my door at the hotel we were staying in the night before the wedding.

‘I’ll be out in two seconds! Geez, Ziva, you do realise I’m pregnant?! Everything is ten times harder than usual!’ I yelled back. I’d pulled on some elastic waist, long white trousers and a soft blouse type cover up, and just pulled my hair up out of my face. Even though it was only June, but the island was just above the Equator, and boiling hot.

‘It’s also made you a little bit cranky,’ Abby felt the need to point out.

‘Abby, I’m not cranky, I’m just fed up of my back aching and my legs aching and not being able to do anything,’ I complained.

‘I know, Lizzie, you just need to relax, and what better than a nice dinner on the beach!’

Once we left the room, Dad met me outside.

‘Need a hand?’ he smiled as he saw me attempting the steps at the front of the hotel.

‘Hm? No, I’m fine,’ I gasped as I reached the bottom, resting my hand on his shoulder as I breathed heavily. ‘I just get worn out really easily.’