prologue

This story takes place somewhere in April 2019, where Billie had plain, black hair, @billieeilish as her Instagram username, and the WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO album as her profile picture.

✨🦋 DulcetDaydream presents...
Smile, Billie 🦋✨

prologue

"Break up with your girlfriend..." I sing,
preparing for the last note.

In the original, the last note is simple and low, but in my cover, I decide to belt the last note because I love belting.

"Yeah, yeah, 'cause I'm bored!" I belt out bored, and hold it for a good 7 seconds, then raise it to a higher note for the last 2 seconds.

I raise an eyebrow, impressed at the note I just belted.

I slightly chuckle as I press my phone to stop recording.

"Yay!" my 5-year-old younger brother squeals as he runs to me, hugging me tight. "That was amazing!"

I giggle, "Thanks, little Joshie."

I just did an acapella of break up with your girlfriend, I'm bored by Ariana Grande.

I didn't bother to put any instrumentals because I didn't care.

I just wanted to sing; it's my passion.

See, I don't really care about people hearing my cover — all I wanna do is check if my singing has improved, and correct my flats and sharps.

My brother skips out of my room, giggling on his way out my door.

I shake my head and give a faint sigh when I see he forgets to close my door.

I get up and close my door, then quickly sit at the rug on the floor of my bedroom.

I listen to the cover I've recorded on my iPhone.

Not gonna lie, but it was surprisingly amazing.

Usually, my singing is quite pitchy and off, but this cover was different.

Well, this is shocking. I've just decided to sing for fun...

I didn't expect it to be this good.

I smile contently to myself.

I guess two years of voice lessons paid off.

After I've watched the whole video, I upload it to my YouTube account.

I do this on a daily basis.

I belt out songs and judge myself afterwards. After that, I post every cover I do in YouTube.

But I always set it to private.

Why, you may ask.

Well, that's because my family says we're a private family.

I have no idea what that even means, but I'm just a 16-year-old girl, and I live under my parents' roof, so I have no choice but to follow whatever they say — I can't post my face on YouTube.

The only reason I post private videos on YouTube is to save some memory in my phone's camera roll.

My video uploads to YouTube, and I soft reset YouTube and my camera roll.

I turn my phone to sleep, charge it, and go to my bed, closing my eyes with a small smile on my face.

My mind slowly wanders off to dreamland...

But what I didn't know was that I forgot to set my video to private, and that my cover was going to be heard all around the world.