20 - what could it be

B E L L A

"Mom," I knock on the door to her bedroom.

I hear no response, so I slowly open the door.

My eyes meet her now, red ones.

She's lying down on the bed with tears rolling down her cheeks; softly sobbing.

I frown as I enter the room, and sit on the bed, facing her.

"Mom, please stop crying," I tell her with pain laced in my voice.

She shakes her head as more tears fall down her cheeks, "I can't help it. I think I'm going to visit him at the hospital."

"Okay, I'm coming with you," I tell her.

"No," she tells me. "You go stay here with Josh."

"But, I wanna visit dad, too."

"You can visit him another time," mom says, wiping her tears. "I don't wanna bring Josh to the hospital. He's too young to understand his dad's situation."

"Oh," I murmur. "Okay."

"You just stay here at the house with Josh," mom sadly tells me. "Take care of him. I'll be back in a few hours."

After a while, my mom leaves the house, and Josh and I are the only ones left inside.

Right now, Josh and I are in the play room.

"Where's mommy?" he asks me as he plays with his toy car.

"She needs to go visit someone," I tell him, smiling, as I play with his other toy car.

He hardly bumps my car and giggles, "You bumped my car!"

"Oops, sorry," I chuckle, even if I know for a fact that he bumped mine.

My phone starts to ring.

"Oh, hold on, Joshie," I tell him. "Gotta take this."

I grab my phone, and answer, "Hello?"

"Hey, B," a familiar, quirky girl greets at the end of the line; another voice talking inaudibly in the background.

The other voice becomes clearer, "Hey, Bella!"

"Oh, hi, Bil," I smile, then drawl, "And...?"