11 - beneath the stars

My dad is in the hospital.

My body turns cold as I slowly put my phone away.

"B?" Billie looks at me with concerned eyes.

"My dad's in the hospital," I quietly say, pursing my lips, and looking away.

"Oh my God," Zoe says, covering her mouth in shock.

"I need to go," I tell them as I briskly walk towards the exit, but not before a hand quickly pulls to a halt.

"Hey, I'm coming with you," Billie softly tells me.

"It's fine, Billie," I give her a small smile. "I'll just grab an Uber or something."

She shakes her head, looking me straight in the eyes as she holds my hand, "I'm coming with you."

"I hope your dad is okay," Zoe goes up to us, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I give her a small smile.

"Leaving?" Q asks Billie and I, going up to us.

Billie nods, "Sorry, I'll talk to you soon."

The two of us goes to the parking area, Billie still not letting go of my hand.

We arrive at her car, and I let go of her hand, entering the passenger's seat, as she goes to the driver's.

We quietly drive to the hospital, not saying a word to each other.

"Thanks, Bil," I quietly say, breaking the silence.

"Hey," she softly says, looking at me in the corner of her eye. "It's all good."

"You could've stayed at the party, but you've decided to go with me," I tell her.

"Don't worry about it," Billie quietly says. "I'm not letting you go there alone. This must be hard for you, B."

"I just don't know how he's there," I say, looking at a far distance. "He's stopped smoking; he promised me that."

I frown, "My mom was crying."

She stops at a red light, and looks at me deeply.

"It's gonna be okay, Beatrice," she softly says, giving me a reassuring smile.

Hearing her say my real name makes my heart flinch.

A few moments later, and we arrive at the hospital.