A Study in Pink: Chapter 6

Once you and Sherlock dismissed John's words on you and Sherlock being just alike, you hurriedly got back to work. Sherlock sprung into action, running to the door and pulling on his coat on the way. You followed after him, scooping up your coat.

"Have you talked to the police?" John looked at you to Sherlock, still sitting in his chair.

"Four people are dead, there isn't time to talk to the police, John. If you haven't noticed, they're slow." You rolled your eyes, he still couldn't see the obvious. You turned back towards the door and pulled your coat over your shoulders, buttoning it up.

"So why are you talking to me?" John asked. This question seemed to be aimed more towards Sherlock than you, so you didn't answer, but continued to button up your coat.

"Mrs Hudson took my skull." Sherlock told John.

"Skull?" You asked looking from Sherlock to John. John gave you a 'you don't want to know' look and you dropped the subject, not really caring.

"So, I'm basically filling in for your skull?" John asked.

"Relax, you're doing fine." Sherlock reassured him.

"What about me?" You asked, looking over at Sherlock. You didn't need the reassurance, but rather wanted to know what Sherlock would say. Curiosity took the best of you... it was for science.

"Oh, you're doing fantastic. Much better than my skull." Sherlock told you simply. You weren't the one who needed convincing... but Sherlock was still... you weren't sure what was the right emotion to describe it was. Nice? That was unexpected going off how you'd thought him to be. "Well?" Sherlock looked to John. The both of you were ready to go and now and standing by the door.

"Well what?" John asked, with a bit of annoyance from his chair.

"Well you could just sit here and watch telly..." Sherlock trailed off with a disgusted look on his face. Sherlock wanted John to come along with the two of you. You did find John's presence a bit inconvenient at times, but he was an okay man. You could see why Sherlock wanted him to come along. It was always good to have an outside perspective. Plus, maybe you could teach him how to deduce some things and it could be beneficial to have a normal, emotional human's view on things.

"You want me to come with you?" John asked.

John's response made you think. You did most of your work alone, and now that you'd been working with Sherlock, you didn't want to give him up, even if he was a giant child. He was the only one that understood your logic and figured out things the same way as you. It was different. You cursed at yourself, seeing as Mycroft was going to be right. This wasn't going to be your only case with Sherlock Holmes.

"Well me and Y/n might need extra company, that and I think better when I talk aloud. The skull just attracts attention, so... " Sherlock shrugged, pulling his scarf on. He was very nonchalantly convincing John. He smiled from his seat, looking away from Sherlock.

"He's right. We're gonna need someone to keep us out of trouble." You added, going along with Sherlock's lead.

John sat quietly in his chair, contemplating something. Whatever he was thinking seemed to be holding him back. Sherlock quickly noticed this.

"Problem?" Sherlock asked.

"Yeah, Sergeant Donovan..." John trailed off and you looked up at him. You hadn't known Sally long, as you'd only recently been taking cases with Lestrade, but you knew her enough to understand she told others preposterous stories about you.

"What about her?" Sherlock inquired, not very interested in hearing about Donovan.

"She said... the two of you get off on this. You enjoy it." Sherlock just looked at him for a moment. Then, smiled slightly as you rolled your eyes. Of course, the good old "she'll be the murderer someday" speech. That one was your favourite.

"And I said 'dangerous', and yet here you are." Sherlock stated. That surly hooked John as he now held a look of interest. You weren't there long enough to hear if he had any more questions, you and Sherlock were already halfway down the stairs.

After a moment, you heard John's uneven footsteps following behind you. You and Sherlock had of course, been right. John couldn't help but come with the two of you. He couldn't resist a little danger, which is why he went to war in the first place.

The three of you exited 221B Baker Street onto the pavement, and you quickly followed Sherlock, John a bit behind.

"Where are we going?" John asked, trying to catch up with you and Sherlock. Sherlock was taking long, quick strides and even you were having a hard time keeping up with the man. He was extremely tall, unlike you and John.

"Northumberland Street is a five minutes walk from here." Sherlock stated. You were all headed to see if the killer would show up or not.

"You think he's stupid enough to go there?" John asked, finally catching up with you and Sherlock.

"No, I think he's brilliant enough. I love the brilliant ones. They're so desperate to get caught." Sherlock stated.

"Why?" John asked.

"Appreciation... Applause!" You thought out loud. Almost every killer you had ever caught, with the personality of this one, wanted attention. Most of them had a bad childhood which caused them to become detached. It would start off small, then eventually build up to killing people. All of them wanted the world to know what they had done to the people they'd killed.

"Exactly!" Sherlock told you before turning to John. "That's the frailty of genius, John, it needs an audience."

"Yeah." John nodded, smiling cynically at Sherlock.

"This is his hunting ground. Right here in the heart of the city." Sherlock spun, looking around the bustling streets of London. You followed his motions, deep in thought.

"We now know the victims were abducted, and that changes everything." You stated, glancing at Sherlock.

"Yes. Because all of his victims disappeared from busy streets, crowded places, but nobody saw them go." Sherlock said, in thought.

"They walked out of their lives with a complete stranger, and trusted him right to the moment they swallowed his poison. He can do the impossible, this one. He needs to take a bow." You tapped your chin in thought as you said this.

"If it is a 'he'. The pink lady was writing 'Rachel'..." John pointed out, you nodded at this fact biting your lip. Why did she write Rachel?

"Yes, that's the one thing I don't understand yet." You told him. If you figured out who Rachel was, then this could lead you to solving the case, but for now you had to try to catch the murderer.

"Yes. That's odd. 'Til we know who Rachel is, no point in speculating. We mustn't theorise in advance of the facts." Sherlock said, almost reading your thoughts. "Think, though, think! Who do we trust, even if we don't know them? Who passes unnoticed wherever they go? Who hunts in the middle of a crowd?" You knew Sherlock was asking this to himself out loud, but you weren't really sure either.

"Who?" John asked.

"Haven't the faintest. Hungry?" Sherlock asked, abruptly turning to cross the street.

"Starving." You replied, following close behind him. Nothing like trying to catch a good ole' murderer to raise your appetite.