The Sign of Three: Chapter 5

(Most of this chapter is a flashback, but still fun! I hope you all enjoy it! This one was fun to write. Anyway, I don't have much to say except I'm tired as HECK. Night y'all, or morning... or afternoon, whenever you're reading this. I hope you all have a good day/night and yeah, enjoy this chapter!)

***

It was late July when the story of 'The Mayfly Man' started. To understand the entirety of the case, unfortunately the guests must know about how Sherlock's and John's night started. But from your point of view... it was a much different story.

It was a long day at work, and you'd just sorted the files from the day when Molly popped into your office.

"Okay, Sherlock's made a weird request." She spoke. You glanced up at her after setting the file aside, you were sure you already knew what she was on about.

"Did he ask you about the damned alcohol intake? I told him he didn't need it calculated to have a fine time with John. They're both lightweights, they won't last the night anyway." You rolled your eyes. You spun your chair towards her, scooping up the file before you walked towards your office door. She followed you, apparently she had a lot of questions.

"But why-"

"Guy thing? Don't ask me why he themed it around all the places they've found bodies. It's Sherlock, what do you expect? Anyway, you might as well listen to him. He won't stop until he gets his request fulfilled. Isn't that right, Sherlock?" You turned the corner towards Mark's office and saw Sherlock about to knock on the door. He was even willing to talk to McClendon, and he hated the guy just because you liked him... and he was jealous. Sherlock would move down his line of people until someone made the charts for him. Because his massive brain and ego with a chemistry degree couldn't do it himself. Sherlock looked up at you in surprise, stepping back from the door.

"Molly's making you your charts. When are you two leaving?" You walked past him and opened Mark's office without knocking to toss him a file. He easily caught it and you waved him bye as you closed the door to turn back to Sherlock. He looked at you in confusion for a moment, before he looked back towards McClendon's door.

"Night fall..." He still gazed at the door before he shook his head as if clearing it of thoughts.

"Good, I'll be home before you leave. Please stay out as long as you want, I get a free night!" You pecked him on the cheek before heading towards the morgue to get more work done. He watched you and Molly leave, before heading back to 221B.

When you got home from work, John and Sherlock were all ready to go out for the night. Sherlock held two large graduated cylinders in either hand and you shook your head. He was really serious about this whole, 'optimizing the night' thing.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Sherlock offered as you made your way into the kitchen, searching through the half empty cupboards.

"Oh, you tease! This is a boys night! I'm not allowed." You yelled back to him as you pulled down a wine glass. Now you had to find if you still had wine stocked somewhere in the flat...

"Alright... we're leaving..." Sherlock spoke but you heard him make no attempts towards the door. "Bye...." He spoke slowly, still not moving towards the door.

"Sherlock, I have plans too. Now go!" You told him. You walked to the kitchen entrance to see him looking back at you intently. You rolled your eyes at him. He was the one that wanted this fun night with John, why did he seem so hesitant all of the sudden? "Sherlock, I'll still unfortunately be here when you get back, now go." You gestured to him to go through the door and after one more long look at you, he nodded taking himself and his graduated cylinders through the door with John.