Fifty - Three

Nicole made sure she had an amazing breakfast the next morning. The food here was absolutely incredible, unlike the ones she had at home. She just wanted to taste the food for the last time, after all. . .

She shook her head and breathed in and out. Soon, she heard footsteps approaching her, and when she looked up, though she expected it to be Marinette, it was Nathaniel.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, leaving Nicole there to wonder if he actually meant it or not.

"Um. . . Yeah, great." Nobody said she had to be honest when it came to how she felt. She took the last spoonful of her breakfast before staring at her empty plate, as if her food was going to refill if she stared at it longer.

"I just. . . I just came over to say good luck."

Nicole widened her eyes. "Good what?! Don't you want Marinette to win?" She didn't know why she was even saying this, but it was true. Nathaniel had always been on Marinette's side, no matter what. After all, it's not like he knew Nicole that well.

"Well, I mean. . . I just don't know how I feel about going against her," Nathaniel shook his head. "Anyway, whatever. I don't care who wins. Carry on with your day."

Having Nathaniel say all this reminded Nicole that the round was starting in the afternoon. Her stomach grumbled. Food! I need more food! But she knew she didn't. She was just feeling nervous for what she was about to do.

Taking another deep breath, she stood up, leaving the dishes on the table. She would come collect them later, or perhaps one of Gabriel's helpers could do that, after all that was what they were here for: to deliver and to clean.

Nicole entered her room, closing it behind her. She then looked at the shirt she had been working on. Actually no — she hadn't been working on it — but she had been working on what to say when it would be her turn at the presentation.

She reached over for her black ultra-fine point sharpie, and once she had that, she started walking up to her shirt. Then, bending over, she wrote at the top;

"PLAIN WHITE T-SHIRT"

~~~

Marinette looked over at her shirt again, getting prepared for the round that was going to be happening soon. She had actually finished this shirt the last two days. Either Gabriel gave them a really long time to work on this, or she worked really fast, and she was beginning to think it was the second option.

She tied her hair in a messy bun, even though she knew she had to look neater. Just thinking about how Nicole had come here to 'talk to her' after everything disturbed her. This was why she had made her keep that promise. This was why Nicole had made her promise that she wouldn't stop trying her hardest, no matter what happened.

When her phone started dinging, telling her it was time to head downstairs, Marinette grabbed her shirt, and headed out of her room, closing the door. When she turned back around, she saw Nathaniel walking up to her.

Nathaniel — he was probably so glad that Adrien was out, which would mean he had no competition until Nicole and Marinette went against each other. He had probably had time celebrating in his room at how Adrien had finally left.

Just having that thought made Marinette walk past Nathaniel without a word. Was there something wrong with her now?

"O-okay," Nathaniel called out as Marinette continued to walk. "Just came over to say good luck."

Marinette stopped and sighed, before turning around to face Nathaniel. "Thanks," She called back, before continuing her way to the big room. She wasn't sure how Nathaniel really felt about Adrien leaving — it's not like she could read people's minds — so maybe ignoring him was a little too cruel.

As she was walking towards the big room, she caught sight of Nicole. Nicole waved with a smile, but she only ignored her.

"Heh," Nicole let out a small chuckle behind her as the both of them walked inside the room. "Too bad I didn't get you to promise you wouldn't be mad at me no matter what happened."

Marinette rolled her eyes without a word.

"Don't worry, Marinette," Nicole spoke up again. "I'm here to make up for it."

Marinette still didn't say anything, but instead just took her seat, waiting for Gabriel to come in.

What do you mean you're going to make up for it? She scoffed. What are you going to do? Bring Adrien back? Yeah, right!

And even with those thoughts, her anger rose more.

- Edited -