Sixty - Six

"Do you believe him?" Adrien asked as they reached her room.

Marinette looked around uncomfortably, trying to search for the perfect answer. Finally, she cleared her throat and turned to him. "I don't know, but it doesn't matter. I just want to get this over with."

Adrien lifted his arm and checked his wristwatch. "20 more minutes before they announce the winner," he said, before facing Marinette again. "How do you feel though, about all this?"

"I don't think it's fair to me," Marinette answered honestly as she shrugged. "I came here to play fair, but the people around me aren't like that. They try to find a way to take me down, even if it means breaking the rules." She let out a frustrated sigh as she sat down on her bed. "It's not fair. I didn't do anything wrong."

Adrien sat down next to her and placed his hand on her lap. "I know how you feel, and I'm so sorry this is happening. But you're one of the strongest girls I know, and I know you'll get through this." He leaned his and pressed his lips against her cheek. "Just remember that you're not alone."

"Thank you, Adrien."

Adrien nodded, before standing up. "I'm thirsty. I'm gonna grab a drink and come back, okay?" Marinette replied back with a nod and Adrien started heading towards the door. Opening it, he left, and even though she knew he was coming back, Marinette felt loneliness wash inside of her.

Adrien walked down the stairs and started heading to the water fountain, but stopped when he noticed that Chloe was there.

"Ugh!" Chloe was saying, a bit too loudly and Adrien guessed it was out of anger. "I can't believe Gabriel doesn't believe me! After everything I did, why the hell wouldn't he believe me?!"

Adrien inhaled, exhaled and started walking towards the other water fountain that was right next to the one Chloe was using. Chloe flinched when she saw him coming her way. "H-hey Adrien."

Adrien didn't say anything. After hearing what Chloe had just said, he wasn't sure of anything anymore. Had he really blamed Nathaniel for something he didn't do? Had he been wrong to think Chloe was right?

Feeling bothered by all the questions, Adrien turned to Chloe. "I don't know the truth, but I'm counting on you to tell me it!"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Chloe-" Adrien stopped, wanting to choose his words wisely. If he wanted Chloe to confess, he had to first convince her. "I know a lot of people make you angry these days and you think the only way you make them pay is to get revenge on them." When he said that, Chloe's face changed, and Adrien could see a hint of nervousness written on her face. "But sometimes revenge isn't always the best idea."

Chloe looked away. "I don't know what you're saying, Adrien."

"You've had so many chances before. So many chances to make it up to me and become my friend like you had always wanted, but you screw every single chances you get, and that's why we're like this. Chloe, I'm giving you another chance, and this is your last chance!" Adrien spoke with determination. "Tell me the truth. If you don't tell me the truth, and I find out about it later on that you lied to me, I'll act as if you never existed in my life. I'll act as if I never knew you, I'll ignore you, see you as my worst enemy. . ."

As he said this, he could actually see that Chloe was thinking about it. His plan was working.

"But if you tell me the truth now, you'll be my friend, closer to me than you were since the beginning of this competition. So, if you still care about this friendship. . . Tell me the truth! Is Nathaniel guilty or not?!"