3.

"Then - then she says, you know what she says? Leave before I turn you into a banshee, you poor excuse for a human being." James said loudly, moving his hands to illustrate what he was saying.

"Mhm," I say completely ignoring him and focusing solely on the chess game that was happening between Sirius and I. "Knight to E5" I mumble uncertainly.

Sirius clicked his tongue, "A poor executed move resulting in the death of you Knight, Josie" Sirius said arrogantly as we both watched my Knight being smashed violently. I cringe, whispering an apology to the now crushed Knight.

James looked at us and runs a hand through his hair angrily. "Are you two even listening?"

We both mumble incoherent yes's as we both try to figure out how to win the game. James looks between us and takes the chess game and throws it like a Frisbee - right at the Gryffindor beater who surprising ends up catching it.

"Hey! We were playing that!" I said in an annoyed tone.

"I am opening my heart to you and what do I get in return? Absolutely nothing! Thank you for nothing, you awful human beings." James said dramatically and drops himself on the couch. I sigh and turn my body to face James who was staring at the ceiling. A look of sadness and confusion evident on his face. I didn't understand why he liked Lily so much. There were plenty of girls who constantly tried to get his attention but for some reason he's decided to go after the one who doesn't care at all.

I looked across the common room where Lily sat with her friends, she was the kind of girl who always handed in her work on time, who never partied, who probably never drank or did anything crazy. She was the teachers pet and one of the most respected girls in our school, she was the perfect role model for younger students. Lily Evans was literally the opposite of James Potter. James was loud, misbehaved and funny. But despite his behaviour, he was an incredible student who possessed good looks, charms and the strange ability to always get into trouble.

I pulled myself out of my thoughts and focused on the conversation Sirius, Remus and James were having about Lily.

"I'm just saying maybe you should give up on her, mate. There are plenty of fish in the sea." Sirius said to James.

James rolled his eyes, "Yeah, well its a good thing I'm allergic to fish."

Remus laughed, "That doesn't even make sense."

"Maybe you should leave her alone" Peter squeaked, making us all look at him, causing him to turn a bright shade of pink.

"What? Leave her alone? Then how would she go out with me, come on Wormtail." He said frustrated as he clutched a pillow to his face.

"You know, James, I think he has a good point." I spoke up.

James lowered the pillow and looked at me as if I had just spoken in a different language, "Are you joking?" He said in a bemused voice.

"No, listen. I'm a girl." I paused. "Well I'm a girl-ish. So, let's put it in my perspective, shall we? Okay, if there's a guy who constantly bothers me and talks to me, I'd get annoyed at him. But if he suddenly leaves me alone and starts to act like a normal human being, I'll think 'maybe he's changed' then I might give this guy a second chance. If you do this, you might actually have a shot with Lily." I say slightly excited.

James eyed me curiously and then said in a low voice,"Do you think it'll work?"

I shrugged, "No, but you've got nothing to lose so why not?"

James groaned and covered himself with a pillow once more. "Thanks!" He mumbled.

Sirius threw his head back and laughed, hitting me on the shoulder, "Aren't you just full of optimism!" He said sarcastically.

I clutched my shoulder and slightly winced, "Yeah, that's me. Josie the optimistic."

The conversation then drifted from Lily to summer and what they had all been doing, Remus informed us all that he had been to Germany and showed us pictures. James spoke proudly about how he had been training all summer to become the captain of the quidditch team. Peter talked about how he had an 'amazing' time with his family. I noticed how quite Sirius was being. He was usually the loud and outgoing one, but when the conversation drifted upon the subject of family or summer, Sirius would become practically silent.

Sirius Black. He was the odd one out in his family, or so I've noticed. He had dark, shaggy hair which made me think of his animagus and 'hypnotising' grey eyes. He was also quite tall and well built from quidditch. He always seemed to have a smile on his face and could easily put a smile on another person's face. Sirius was charming, flirtatious and a bit manipulative. He knew exactly what the say to get what he wanted from anybody. I wouldn't deny the face that he was good looking, but to me he had more of a tortured soul kind of aura around him. I had an inkling that it had something to do with his family, but he never spoke much about them.

Speak of the devil, Sirius looked up and looked right at me, "Why'd you always do that?" He whispered.

I gave him a bemused look, "Do what?"

He scratched his head, "I don't know you just always seem to have this look on your face. It feels like you're peering into my soul."

I laughed, "I'm not peering into anyone's soul. I'm just- I don't know, observing I guess."

He smirked, "Oh, you're observing me. Like what you see?"

I hit him with a pillow, "No! This is why I don't talk to you that much." I said, annoyed.

He slipped his arm across my shoulders, "It's alright, darling, if you want to confess your undying love for me you can. I've had about three today."

I rolled my eyes, shrugging his hand off my shoulders. "No way. Three confessions? It's our first day." I said, not believing him.

He shrugged, "It's true, I promise. But what can I do? There is no time frame for love. Well, one sided love anyway. It's flattering yes but oh, is it awkward,"

I shook my head and put a hand on my heart, "You poor soul, having people confess their love to you must be tiring. How do you ever do it?" I said, sarcasm rolling off my tongue easily.

He laughed his annoying loud laugh as usual, "I missed you a lot, Jo"

"Oi, what are you two chatting about?" James said, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

I stood up and cleared my throat, "Gentleman, I have an announcement to - announce."

Remus laughed, "Go on then."

"How about we make this year, the best year ever!"

Sirius furrowed his brows, "But what about next year?"

"We won't have time for fun because we'll be too busy deciding what we want to do for the rest of our lives! So, I propose that this year will be the greatest, most unforgettable year. What do you say?" I grinned brightly

I was surprised when the whole common room exploded into cheers and claps, obviously liking the idea of a fun and memorable year. Seeing everyone's excitement made me feel a twinge of happiness and I made an invisible promise to myself to have the best year I could possibly have.