33.

There was a certain beauty about waking up in your bed during the holidays. The warmth from the blankets, the feeling of complete relaxation because of the fact that you didn't have anything you needed to do, the beauty of not waking up to go to classes in the morning, it was all very serene. Almost therapeutic in a way.

I absolutely hated it.

Okay, that was bit of an overstatement. I didn't hate it- I abhorred it. I was a morning person, I hated having nothing to do. As a person who enjoyed having a list of things to do, this was like my personal hell. What was I supposed to? Read a book and enjoy the outdoors? No! I wanted to do something. What was especially worse was that my entire family loved having nothing to do, they enjoyed sitting around and doing nothing. Which made absolutely no sense to me! Instead of sitting around and relaxing, the time you spend doing nothing can be used to actually do something!

I glanced at the clock above the fireplace, it was eleven thirty yet no one was doing anything. After cooking breakfast my father sat down and began to read the newspaper, my mother was reading in the corner and my brother Frank was just sitting on the couch, staring at the cackling fire. He was just sitting there and looking at the fire.

"You people are driving me crazy!" I exclaim making them all turn to me. "You're just sitting there and doing nothing!"

My mother laughed, her deep soft laughter that made my father chime in as well, "Josie, darling - what do you want us to do? We're just happy you are all here and we're taking the time to savour these moments." She said, with a smile.

My father nodded, "Your mother's right, besides what are you in a rush for? There's nothing to be done." He said, amusement dancing in his eyes.

I groaned and sat down on the couch, "Exactly, there's nothing to do! I'm so bored that I counted how many steps there are on the stairs!" I said, pointing to the wooden stairs, "Thirty-eight if any of you are interested," I said, dully.

I felt a pillow hit me from the side, I turned to look at Frank who looked almost as bored as me. "Hey- don't be rude to your mother, Josette." He said giving me his signature mischievous smile.

I rolled my eyes at him and threw the pillow back at him as hard as I could, unfortunately for me he managed to catch it just in time before it collided with his face.

"They haven't changed one bit have they, Harold?" She said, looking over at my father fondly.

My father put down the newspaper and glanced at us, "Those two? Ha, you wish. " He said and then turned to me, "Why don't you go find something useful to do instead of fighting with each other."

Frank scoffed, looking appalled. "Dad, I can't believe you just said that. We aren't fighting, this is how we show love. Every scream means I love you, a punch means I really love you."

I laughed, nodding. "Oh yeah, he's right. You know what they say, the harder you hit - the more you care." I said, laughing. "Actually, no never mind. That's an awful mantra."

I turned to my mum and sighed, "Mum, please - I'm going to die of boredom. What do I do?"

My mother rolled her eyes at me and gave me a pointed look, "Josie, are you going to moan all day? Go find something to do," A erratic grin appeared on her face, "Why don't you go visit James! Oh, I'm sure he'd absolutely love to see you."